Personal History #7

Did you have a job as a child?

My first jobs were babysitting jobs. I babysat at home for my parents frequently, and I was lucky to be paid for it. I think I was about eleven when I started babysitting for a family across the street. They had two children, and I would babysit the younger one while their mom took the older child to a piano lesson once a week. We mostly watched the Disney Channel on TV and drank chocolate milk for the hour or so that I was over there. As a teenager I had more babysitting jobs for various families, although nothing on a regular basis, and I usually found more for me and the children to do than just watch TV.

I had a couple odd jobs for short periods of time, including watering a garden while a family was on vacation and tutoring a friend who needed some extra help in math.

My first real job was at the beginning of my senior year in high school, for an after school day care program. That lasted for about two weeks. I think I was really nervous the first week, but for whatever reason, after that first week the supervisor told me I didn't seem to be fitting in, and told me that I could work one more week, and that was it. The funny thing is that after she told me that, I felt much more comfortable with the job and I really enjoyed my last week there. I didn't get another job until I went to college, and then I found a job in a cafeteria on campus - first as a dishwasher, then in the kitchen, and finally as a hostess. I also worked for Molly Maids the one summer that I was home from college.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop