The Winds of Change

As I've mentioned before, Steven has been searching for a job for the last couple months. Over the last couple weeks, he has interviewed with a company called MC Dean, located in Dulles, Virginia. Yesterday morning, Steven received a phone call from them with a preliminary job offer. Steven accepted the offer, and now he is working to complete the drug tests, background checks, etc, after which the company will fly him out to Virginia to meet the big-wigs. (His interviews with this company were done via video chat.) After that, if there are no hiccups, we will move our family there and he will begin work.

Life has suddenly become a whirlwind of thoughts, emotions, to-do lists, and wonder.

I am tremendously grateful that Steven has found a job. He feels less stressed and worried, I feel less stressed and worried. Soon, we will have money coming in again. This is a very, very good thing.

I wonder why it had to be Virginia. I'm a California girl who has spent the last ten years in Colorado. I wonder if we will fit in there, or if we will stand out - weird accents, weird clothes, weird perspective in life. At the same time,I trust that the Lord has some reason for wanting us to be in Virginia. I believe that there is something the Lord wants us to do there, and I kind of feel like we've been called on some kind of mission. I wonder what the ward will be like there, and what callings we will receive.

For myself, I am excited for a change. We've lived in the same area for ten years - which is the second longest I have lived anywhere.  (I lived in Goleta, CA for my first twelve years, so that is still my record.) One thing I like about moving is going through the stuff I've accumulated and deciding what I need to keep and what I can get rid of. I find that it helps to keep my home uncluttered, and it shows me how my interests have changed over time. Moving lets me look at my family and life from a little different perspective. It introduces me to new experiences, lets me meet new people and make new friends. I firmly believe that a shake-up is very good now and then, and we were overdue.

At the same time, I wonder how this move will affect my children. The home we are in now is the only home that Joshua and Peter have ever known, and the only one Hannah and John really remember. I worry more specifically about Peter. He does not like change. When he heard we were going to move, he started to cry. It was hard enough for him to start a brand new school this year, but to have to switch schools again - this time in the middle of the school year - will be particularly difficult for him. Hannah expressed some concern that the things she is learning in her 8th grade honors math class now are either beyond or behind what would be taught at a different school.

I am a little disappointed to be leaving my calling as Primary President right now. We have so many things in progress that wont come to fruition until we will (probably) have already left, including the Halloween Trunk-or-Treat (the Primary is in charge of planning this year) and the Primary Program, which won't be until mid November. Last week our stake was visited by members of the General Relief Society, Young Women's and Primary Boards, and we were inspired and given so many ideas of how we could improve our Primary, and now I don't know if we'll have time to make much of a difference. It will help when I have a definite date for moving, so I will know how much time I have. Until then, I can only try to do as much as possible to make the transition smooth when it happens.

Meanwhile the preparations for a move begin. Can we find a place to live there? What do we do with our condo here? (We're thinking of hiring a property management company to rent it out for us.) What things do we want to take with us, and what would be better thrown away or given away? Will we be able to take our cats with us or do we need to find another home for them? (And yes, we would miss them if we had to leave them behind.) Will the moving allowance the company is giving us cover the cost of the moving van, gas for the trip, hotel for at least one night of travel (Maybe we could stay with Kristy the first night out?), deposits on a new home, AND the cost of replacing the disgusting carpet in our condo here?

As always, I trust that the Lord is watching out for us. Somehow everything will work out according to His plan. So Virginia, better watch out because here we come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop