Nothing to Fear?

A little over a week ago, on Oct 5th, a girl named Jessica Ridgeway disappeared on her way to school. Five days later, her body was found, dismembered in such a way that it took two days for authorities to say decisively that the body was hers. She lived only 7 1/2 miles from us. As of now, police appear to have no suspects.

At my own boys' K-8 school last week a 14 year old boy sexually assaulted a six year old. The incident was immediately reported, the 14 year old was removed from school, and letters have been sent home to assure us that increased security measures have been put in place to keep it from happening again.

Hannah usually walks with friends to her bus stop. She learned last night that one of those friends wouldn't be walking to school with her until Jessica Ridgeway's killer is apprehended. This morning, I made sure that the boys were ready earlier so we could all walk together to Hannah's bus stop, and from there to the boys' school.

I refuse to live in fear. By nature, I am a trusting person. I don't want my children to be afraid to walk to or from school. I don't want them to be afraid every time a car drives by or someone passes them on the sidewalk. We have taught them not to take rides or to accept food from strangers, but will they remember what they have been taught if the "stranger" seems nice? Or if he or she is someone they have seen around the neighborhood before? When we take walks as a family, the children frequently like to stop and ask pet owners if they can pet their dogs. What if they do that when Steven or I am not with them?

I usually do walk the boys to and from school. In the last couple years, when John has had after school activities, I've let him walk home from school by himself. Hannah usually walks home from the bus stop by herself. Sometimes I wonder: Should I continue to let them walk by themselves? Should I never let my children out of my sight unless they are under the supervision of another trusted adult? Is there an age where I can let go? If something happens to my children, am I going to be mad at myself for not doing everything possible to keep them safe?

Remember the movie, "Finding Nemo"? Remember how 'parentoid' Nemo's dad was at the beginning? I don't want to be like that. I want to trust. I want to believe that my children are and will be safe. I want my children to have courage to go out into the world and do amazing things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop