The 2014 Hiatt Kidz Calendar

Every year, we make a calendar. This started the first year Steven and I were married and I was working at Kinkos. That year, just Steven got the calendar, which featured pictures of us: in high school, our engagement pictures, wedding pictures and honeymoon pictures. The following year, the calendar featured Hannah, starting a tradition of having the kids be the focus of the calendar. We gave the calendars to the grandparents for Christmas, and gradually expanded that to a few select others who also expressed a desire to have them. Here are this year's calendar pictures. (To download a printable pdf file of the entire calendar, you can click here.)


The building in the picture is a really cool building nearby where my boys have had their cub scout day camps.
Here, the kids are in John's closet, not exactly under the stairs, but still cramped when all four of them are in there. I borrowed the poster online somewhere. I love it because it looks like the characters are looking out from their world into ours.
If you found a place where you could buy a wand, would you get a cheap knock-off that could disguise as something else? Or would you get an ordinary looking stick?
Yes, the cats had to find a way into the calendar somehow.
Did you know that there is a place at King's Cross Station where there looks like a luggage trolly is disappearing into a wall? Look up "Platform 9 3/4" on Google Images!
This was the first picture I completed. It kind of set the tone for the entire calendar. We wanted something bright and cheerful, and kind of funny. I love the expression on Josh's face!
I borrowed the paintings on the wall and the skull candle, but I drew the rest of the background for this one. Someday, I would love a green screen. That would really help for pictures like this one.
This picture was taken at the boys' school. I had to replace the football goalpost with quidditch hoops and add the fence and banners myself.
How do you make ordinary plants look magical? Make the leaves heliotrope and add eyes and teeth? Maybe.
Do we own too many stuffed animals? Maybe. The hardest part about making this one was getting the kids the right proportions and facing the right angles. Again, a green screen would have come in handy.
We borrowed the church kitchen before the ward Trunk or Treat to photograph this one. The posters and potions (and open cupboard doors) were added afterwards. Apparently the Eye of Newts were taken from giant newts. And don't ask what Hannah has on her tray. I don't know.
Each month's picture has a different icon in the top corners. We had to add the tardis to this picture because of the wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff. Once again, I love the expression on Josh's face. Peter's mustache is pretty cool too. The book Hannah is holding was recycled from another calendar from several years ago.
Since all the other pictures were posed, we had to throw in some more candid shots from throughout the year.
On the side posts of each image, there is a secret code, containing very important messages. The code key is on the banners on the back cover.
By the way, this was my 500th post! Yay me!

Comments

  1. You do such a good job on your calendars! I love seeing them and the fun pictures you create! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop

How Clean is Clean Enough?