General Conference

This last weekend was relaxing. According to our family tradition, we cleared this weekend from as many activities as possible. Usually we do a big grocery shopping trip on the first Saturday of the month; we did it last week instead so we wouldn't need to this week. Usually we go to the library on Saturdays; we renewed the things that were due so we wouldn't have to go. Hannah had an orchestra field trip/performance scheduled for this weekend; she chose not to attend. (I'm not sure how that will effect her grade, but I am very pleased that she felt that watching Conference this weekend was more important.) Between sessions of the Conference, we wouldn't be running around trying to accomplish the business of a normal Saturday, but could use the time to eat, to relax, and reflect on the messages that were taught. On Sunday, John had a presidency meeting and I went to an evening choir practice, but other than that, the entire weekend was dedicated to hearing the words of our General Authorities.

We made some other preparations beforehand as well. On Friday evening, we all went to the dollar store, where each person could select two things - one for him or herself, and the other to share with the family. We ended up with an assortment of soda, candy, cookies, and other snacks.

On Saturday morning, Steven moved our big TV to the desk and hooked it up to the computer so we could watch conference on the bigger screen. We gathered supplies for whatever activities we planned on doing with our hands during the Conference - paper, pencils, and everything from LEGOs to duct tape to yarn and a crochet hook.

After each session of conference, we would discuss the stories and scriptures that were shared, and talked about what messages they taught us. I was impressed by how much each of my children picked up, even when at the time, they had appeared to be involved in whatever they were doing with their hands. Peter was excited when the choir sang, "I Stand All Amazed" Sunday afternoon, and he even tried to sing with them.

I loved hearing the talks that were shared. I find it comforting to know that our Church Leaders are very aware of the struggles and difficulties that people in the world are experiencing, and to know that they have prayed to know what they might say that would address those struggles. I heard the common themes of missionary work, of standing as a witness of Christ no matter what opposition we might face. I was comforted to hear that as long as we are having family prayer and scripture study each day and Family Home Evening once a week, that we are doing sufficient. I was reminded of the importance of reaching out to others and serving them in love, without being judgmental.

As I listened to one of the speakers yesterday (William R. Walker) tell stories of his ancestor's conversion, I thought about the stories of my own ancestors and I contemplated trying to write some of the events of their lives as short stories, and maybe find a way to illustrate them, so they could be shared with my children and nieces and nephews, and someday grandchildren, to teach them about their ancestors in a way that they could relate to. I was reminded again of some of the stories my parents told me of their childhood - my dad asking his neighbor (maybe a grandmother?) for "offerings", and my mom playing with sparklers with her cousins when a tree caught fire. I could tell the story of my very young grandparents playing together in the sandbox, or my teenaged grandmother's dream of her beaus coming and going, leaving only my grandpa. I wish I knew the stories better, and I wonder what other fun stories they and others of my ancestors have that would be fun to pass on so they won't be forgotten. The more I think about it, the more I get excited about the idea.

Over the next six months, our family will review the talks that were given in this conference. We will select one each Sunday to watch together as a family, to remember the messages that were shared. We will read the talks again when they come in the Ensign, and I wouldn't be surprised if Steven added the talks to the queue that he listens to on his long commute to and from work.  We are grateful that we have been able to receive this guidance, and we plan to live in accordance with the teachings we have received.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop