The Trunk-or-Treat, Halloween, and a Lost Camera

It's been a week, and the camera still hasn't shown up... so....

Saturday, October 24th was a busy day. John and Josh were busy putting finishing touches on the costumes they had been working so hard to create. Steven raked the leaves from the ground below the two huge trees in front of our home. I took Josh on a walk down to the park for a photo shoot. (One of the homework assignments from my photography class was to take a portrait of someone.) Hannah and Peter carved pumpkins. Steven baked cinnamon rolls. Hannah and I dug through our Halloween decorations to find some with which to decorate the back of our van.

A little before 3:30 in the afternoon, I loaded the three older kids and their costumes into the car and dropped them off at the church to help set up for the ward Trunk-or-Treat. I returned home to don my costume, collect the carved pumpkins, cinnamon rolls, camera, candy, candy bags and whatever else we would need for that evening of fun. Then Steven and Peter and I joined the other kids at the church.

The evening began with dinner. Tradition requires a chili cook-off, so there was plenty of chili for dinner, as well as hot dogs that someone tired of chili thoughtfully provided. Dessert, again by tradition, was cinnamon rolls.

After dinner, the awards were presented. First were the awards for the chili and cinnamon rolls. Steven won second place for his cinnamon rolls!

Then came the costume awards. People were called up by age group, youngest to oldest, and asked to parade past the judges (the missionaries) and around the room, after which prizes were given out.

Peter was disappointed not to win a prize for his Sherlock Holmes costume, complete with homemade deerstalker hat (made from pattern here) and magnifying glass.

Josh did win a prize for his headless man carrying a head in a jar costume. It wasn't very comfortable, but it looked absolutely incredible.

John fought a battle the entire evening with his dalek costume. A dalek is an alien robot thing from Doctor Who, and the premise was awesome, but the duct tape used to hold the thing together wasn't sticky enough to do the job very well. (It fell apart by the end of the evening, and we had to redesign it before Halloween night, when it held up a little better, but still required some repairs along the way.)

Hannah wore the wishing dress that her grandmother sewed for her. She pinned the jacket closed in front, and we curled her hair, and she looked beautiful.

Steven was dressed in his full scouting regalia. He always looks good in uniform.

I went in my pajamas, bathrobe, sleep mask, and slippers, with my hair up in pink foam curlers. I even won an award for my costume, in spite of the fact that several people commented that they didn't think I was in costume at all; I had just rolled out of bed and come as I was.

After the costume awards, the award for best carved pumpkin was given out. Peter won that with his dalek pumpkin.
Image result for dalek pumpkin
Peter's pumpkin looked something like this.

After the awards, the games began. John helped behind the scenes at the fishing booth. There was also a cake walk, rubber band shoot, and some other games.

Finally came the actual Trunk-or-Treat part of the night. Hannah took charge of decorating our trunk with a Doctor Who theme, with white lights for stars, and a starry pillowcase for background. She had a small TARDIS, a sonic screwdriver, and several of the weeping angels that she made last year. (I could have sworn that I blogged about them... but I can't find the blog now) I think our trunk was the only one decorated at all, so we won the best decorated trunk award as well.

When the candy was gone, we gathered up our belongings, piled back into the car, and headed home. It was a very fun activity, and we really enjoyed it.

Throughout the evening, I took pictures - of each of us in costume, of the awards that we received, of the trunk during the trunk-or-treat. I carried the camera in the pocket of my bathrobe. When I got home and prepared for bed, I emptied my pockets and hung up my robe. Monday morning when I went searching for the camera to blog about this fun evening, the camera was nowhere to be found. It wasn't in my pocket, it wasn't with my cell phone and other things that had been in my pocket. It wasn't by the computer where I normally keep it. I searched the boxes of stuff we brought home from the trunk or treat. I searched the car. On Tuesday when I went to the church for Institute, I checked the lost and found area there as well as the area of the parking lot where our car had been parked with no luck. I posted on our Relief Society Facebook page asking if anyone had seen it, and there has been no response. I've looked under couch cushions and behind furniture, in other family members' coat pockets, anywhere I could think of.... and the camera is still missing. I've been wanting a better camera, and we're saving up for one, but we weren't quite ready to have to get a new one yet.

I used the crappy camera on my cell phone to take pictures of the boys before they left to go Trick or Treating on Halloween night (which seemed kind of anticlimactic after the fun of the Trunk of Treat the week before). The kids put a lot of time and energy into creating their costumes this year, and I wanted to have something to remember them by, especially in case my real camera never shows up again.

Hannah went Trick or Treating with a friend and ended up having a bit of an adventure with a flat tire. We were happy when she made it home safely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop