Do You Think You're Having a Bad Day?

As I was taking my morning walk, I came across an unusual sight. On a street near my home, there are concrete traffic barriers, which are intended to slow traffic, making them weave between these barriers. Each barrier is about a foot or 18 inches high. Today, perched on top of one of these barriers was a mail truck.
(photo by Google Maps)
My first thought was that the postman had parked there deliberately so as to not block traffic as he parked on the side of the road to deliver a package. Sure enough, I saw him leave his truck with a package and deliver it to a house nearby. Then he returned to the truck.

As I passed the mail truck on my way up the street, the mailman said, "Pretty stupid, isn't it? I was busy looking for an address and didn't notice the barrier." He had gotten up there by accident! As I looked closer, I realized that the rear driver side tire was the only one touching the road. All the other tires were in the air, and the vehicle appeared to be resting entirely on the barrier. The mailman started the engine and put his foot on the gas, but without any traction, going forward or in reverse, the tires just spun. There began to be an odor of burning rubber where some of the tires were rubbing against the barrier. Turning the front wheels one way and another didn't seem to help at all either.

I felt kind of guilty as I continued on my way, but there really wasn't anything I could do to help, and I felt like my presence was contributing to the poor man's embarrassment. Another man was out there taking pictures of the mail truck... and I decided to leave my phone in my pocket. As I left the site, the poor, stranded postman was using his cell phone to call for help. I imagine he'd need a tow truck or a crane or something to get out of there.

No matter what happens to me today, it can't be as bad as that poor man with a truck full of holiday packages to deliver, stuck on a traffic barrier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop