Medical Update: Test Results

On Tuesday I returned to the cardiologist to find out the results of the tests I took a couple weeks ago. The doctor went through the results kind of fast, so while I caught the issues he mentioned, I don't know if one or another of them or a combination of all them is what has caused me to pass out... Or it could be something else entirely for all I know.

The tilt table and exercise stress tests didn't reveal much since I didn't pass out, and my reactions were normal. They did determine that I don't need a pacemaker.

The echo cardiogram discovered a few things:

1. I may have a bicuspid aortic valve. Most people's aortic valves have three flaps that open and close to control blood flow through the body. Mine may have only two flaps, which means that my heart is a little less efficient, and a small amount of blood gets sucked back in (or regurgitated) and has to be pumped out again. The doctor didn't seem very concerned about this, and so it's just something that we're going to watch. This is a genetic disorder.

2. I may have a minor mitral valve prolapse which also causes some minor blood regurgitation. Again, the doctor didn't seem particularly concerned about this; it's just something to watch.

Blood tests also found a few things:

1. I'm borderline prediabetic. I'm grateful that I've lost ten pounds in the last year because if I hadn't, I probably would be diabetic.

2. My cholesterol levels are pretty good -

             However...

3. I have elevated lipoprotein (a) levels which means that I need to bring down my ldl cholesterol more than it already is. I've been prescribed a cholesterol lowering medicine. High Lipoprotein(a) has been associated with higher risk for heart attacks and strokes and it runs in families. (So beware.)

4. I have a vitamin D insufficiency. The doctor told me I had three choices: I could ignore it, I could buy a bikini and go to the Bahamas and soak up some rays, or I could take a Vitamin D supplement. I think I'll go with the supplement.

Only now am I starting to think of some of the questions I should have asked when the doctor asked if I had any questions on his way out the door.  Does the fact that I didn't pass out during the exercise stress test mean that I can continue to exercise normally? Should I be exercising more or more vigorously? Are there things I should be watching out for - chest pain? chest pressure? fast heart beat? If I'm prediabetic, should I be watching what I eat? Are there things I shouldn't be eating or should be eating more of? Is it possible I could control my cholesterol with dietary changes? Or do I have to take the medicine?

And that's it. I'll go back to the doctor in a couple months to see if the cholesterol medicine and Vitamin D supplement have done any good. Until then, I'll just try to eat healthy, exercise, and try not to pass out again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop