Saying Goodbye to a Friend

Right around the time that I was called as Primary President (leader of our church's children's group), Christy moved into our ward. A young mother with a couple young kids, she was God sent. I needed someone to serve as the primary chorister, the calling I had held previously, and in spite of her perceived lack of musical talent, she was willing to serve. She did a great job, with lots of fun activities for the primary children while teaching them the gospel through music. 

Over the next several years we became friends. Although her growing family is younger than mine, we both attended play groups and other activities. Hannah babysat her kids occasionally. She also has a son named Peter, and my children dubbed him "big Peter" while my Peter was "little Peter" in spite of the fact that my Peter is much bigger and older than hers.

When I was Relief Society president (leader of the church's womens' organization) and found myself in need of a new counselor, Christy was the perfect fit. I loved serving with her. There are so many things I admire about her. She always seems to have an extra casserole in her freezer whenever there is a family in need. She is always willing to help or serve wherever she can. She reminded me a lot of my own mother (and my friend Tabitha!) as her family grew and she managed to care for her children and homeschool them, as well as fulfill her other responsibilities even while her husband served in time consuming callings as well. As we had occasions to chat, I would sometimes hear about her frustrations and struggles with her children, but I always admired her incredible patience and quiet competence.  

But life changes and all good things come to an end. Her husband got a new job and Christy moved to Utah last week, taking about two thirds of our current Primary with her. (Our primary was already small and she has eight children now, the youngest born just earlier this year). So now she's gone. I'm so bad at keeping up with people who I don't see; I hate making phone calls. She isn't on Facebook. I'm really going to miss her. She says they'll come back to visit, but it won't be the same. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop