Primary Presentation

Yesterday our ward had our Primary presentation in Sacrament Meeting. This presentation is an annual thing; usually it happens in October. It is an opportunity for the children to share the songs and teachings that they have learned over the course of the year.

Through the years, I have participated in this program in many ways. As a child, I sang the songs, I got to speak in the microphone to give my one line parts. I don't remember ever worrying too much about it. As an adult, I have played the piano for it. I have been a teacher, helping to direct the children up to the stand when it was their turn to speak. I have been the chorister, leading the music, and hoping that the children would sing loudly enough and clearly enough to be understood.  Two years ago I led the music, felt the Spirit strongly, and cried because I knew that my term as chorister was coming to an end. I had been called to be the Primary President in our ward.

Yesterday marked my second primary program as president. I sat on the stand, somewhat hidden behind the piano. Like a teacher, I reminded the children around me when it was their time to go to the microphone to speak. I sat next to Peter in an attempt to help him remain reverent. I followed the directions of the chorister, singing when it was time to sing, and although I didn't stand, I helped the children around me pay attention so they would be ready to stand when the direction came. I enjoyed listening to Peter and Josh recite their lines from memory. I listened to the talk John had written all by himself. I was grateful that Hannah had the role of narrator (although Steven told me later that she was doing odd things with her eyebrows as she said her lines!) When the bishop stood at the end and read the primary theme: "All thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children" (3 Nephi 22:13) I felt the Spirit, and I was grateful to be a part of this great work.

After the presentation, the Stake Primary Presidency came to the primary room to tell the children how much they had enjoyed the program. The children had been so reverent! They had known the words to the songs! They had loved the talks and testimonies that had been shared! The children really did do a wonderful job. I am grateful to them for all their hard work in learning their parts and singing the songs, and coming to the practice the day before. I am grateful to the sisters in charge of the music, for their labors in teaching the words and the messages of the songs, for working with the children to get them to stand and sit in relative unity, for convincing them to sing loudly yet sweetly. I am grateful for the teachers who assisted with reverence, giving reminders and directions.  I am especially thankful for my dear counselor who wrote the program, who assigned the lines and talks, who directed the rehearsals, made the seating charts, and sat next to the podium to whisper in the ears of those children who hadn't memorized their lines or couldn't remember them at the last minute. She was the real hero.

Now we can all relax for a while. Kind of. I'm in charge of teaching Sharing Time in Primary this month.

Comments

  1. Sounds like everything went well! Our ward was just redrawn, we gained a lot of kids, doubled the Primary, and I am in the Primary Presidency again. (I was in Texas, too, and did two programs, one while 9 months pregnant with Timothy... !) The confusing thing is, half the kids have already done a program and half have not... so we are having another one :) Fun stuff. We are also going to be changing buildings and will do the program in the new building. Wish us luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop