Steven

June 13, 1998, San Diego Temple
About twenty-two years ago, I met a guy. He was in my early morning seminary class where, while studying the Book of Mormon, we acted out Lehi's dream, and he had a starring role as Nephi. I think that was what originally brought him to my attention. After a few days I realized that he was also in my math class at school, and one day I summoned up the courage to talk to him and I told him he did a good job in seminary, or something akin to that. I quickly discovered his well developed sense of humor, and through some friendly competition in that math class, I learned that he was very smart. After that we started talking more frequently after school, and in following years we talked on the phone on Friday nights, went on a few dates, didn't talk at all for a couple years, reconnected, got engaged and then married. We've been married for over thirteen years now, and this wonderful guy is my best friend in the world.
Why bring this up now? Well, a few things have happened recently that have helped me to appreciate him even more. Steven served as our ward's Scout Master for about six years. He loved working with the young men, the camping, hiking, and everything. They built a go cart out of a bathtub, they hauled around a brick on almost all their camp-outs (they called it the "holy brick", and they didn't take it on their backpacking trip), they ate twinky-cheesewiz hotdogs, and tons of other stuff. It was with mixed feelings that he faced being released from the calling a few months ago when he went back to school. About a year ago, Steven went to Wood Badge Training, which is the highest level of training available to Boy Scout Leaders. It included six days of camping, working with a patrol of adults, and setting long-term goals to bring him closer to the kind of person that he would like to be. Well, he finally completed those goals, and a couple weeks ago he was presented his certificate of completion, neckerchief, leather slide, and beads at a Court of Honor. During the meeting, I heard many of the boys and leaders give tribute to Steven for his years of dedicated service, for his love for the boys, for his understanding of the scouting program and spirit. One of the boys even presented Steven with the "holy brick" as a memento!
Steven receives his Wood Badge award.
Steven receives the holy brick.
Triple berry cheese cake. It was yummy!
Another reason why I bring this up now is because he just had a birthday last week. Birthdays serve as a reminder of the special people in my life. Steven has always had the gift of being able to make me laugh. From his juggling and unicycling skills to the sound effects that always abound when he is around, he brings joy to my life. He is a wonderful, caring dad to our children, ready to help them with spelling words or math facts, listen to them practice reading, or help them learn to ride a bike. He is a smart guy, doing well in his MBA program, and still finding time to solve ridiculously complicated crosswords and other puzzles. He is faithful, dedicated to reading the scriptures, having family home evenings, attending the temple and serving in his callings. He is a wonderful, loving, and supportive husband. He is always willing to listen when I need to rant, he encourages me in my hobbies and interests, and he doesn't complain too much when the housework slips a bit when I'm involved in a good book. I will always be grateful that Steven is a part of my life, and I am very, very glad that he is my eternal companion.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop