Identity

This morning I came across a video on Facebook about why Millennials are messed up. Later I realized I'm not sure what "generation" I'm part of... Probably Gen X or Y, and I'm sure I learned it once, but it wasn't important enough to me to remember, and I don't care enough to look it up now. My point is that the generation that I was born into - my age group - is not something that I identify with. It is not part of my identity, or a group that I usually think of myself as a part of.

So, then I started wondering, what groups do I identify with?

First, I am part of a family, both my immediate family - husband and kids, as well as my birth family - parents and siblings. I also identify somewhat with my "clan", my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and even great grandparents and other ancestors.  I am a descendant of some pretty cool people, and I am glad I have that claim on them. It is always cool to find out I'm related to someone, even distantly, and it gives me a feeling of affinity for them.

Second, I am part of my religion. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am part of a local ward, with the people I meet with every Sunday. I am part of a bigger stake, and I am part of the world-wide church as a whole. I feel a love for our prophet and other general authorities, and even seeing missionaries - people I don't know personally, but I do know that they believe in the same things I do brings me a sense of love and familiarity.

Third, I am part of my country. I don't really identify very strongly with any particular political party, or any smaller geographical region (city, county or state) but I am proud to be a citizen of the United States of America. I enjoy hearing about our founding fathers and our history. I am grateful for the freedom that has always been important since the writing of the Declaration of Independence. While I may question some of the decisions that our leaders have made, I am grateful for the freedom to question them without being arrested.

Fourth, I am a child of God. This puts me in a group with every other person on earth. It means when I look at someone else - a homeless person, a driver who isn't as considerate as I might have liked, a political leader who has a differing point of view from mine, a person from a foreign country with a different religion and almost nothing else in common with me - I feel some desire to see them as God sees them. I can feel sympathy for their struggles, and I can feel love for them.

And that's about it. What about you? What groups do you identify with?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop

The Year in Review: Peter in 2022