Cardboard-Bot Creations

Last Saturday, I had John with me when I went to the library, but I had a list of books that the other kids wanted me to look for, including a request from Josh to get a book about robots. I picked up this book (Welcome to your Awesome Robot, by Viviane Schwarz) thinking that it looked interesting.


This book is full of ideas and inspiration on how to build your own robot out of a cardboard box and other things that can be found around the house. In the book, the child climbs inside the box and functions as the brain/motor of the robot. Of course my kids had to do things their own way, but they used the ideas in the book as a jumping off point. They found the stash of cardboard boxes from Christmas that I never got around to breaking down and taking to the dumpster, and now the boys' room is full of scraps of cardboard, duct tape, scissors, paper, and a few very cool looking creations.

Josh's creation features a keyboard on top, with a view screen, antenna, and various other things dangling off the sides.
Writing on the front of this box, that has been taped to the bedroom wall, says "Message Box" and "No Clothes". A dial on the side can point to "John", "Josh", "Peter" or "Gunny Bag".
This creation of John's appears to be full of Halloween/Christmas candy. (Some kind of dispenser maybe?) I think I've heard John refer to it as "Store-Bot".

These are still works in progress, and they will probably continue to evolve over time, but I think it is awesome that my boys are being creative, using their imaginations, and having fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop