Doctor Who

I mentioned a while back that I started watching Doctor Who after Halloween last year. Since then, I've watched seven seasons of the show in a little over three months. The kids have been watching the episodes at a slower pace, but they are enjoying them too. Josh has made his own sonic screwdriver out of paper, and occasionally he talks about what his tardis would be like if he built one. Peter is scared of the weeping angels, and insists that when we talk about one, we call it a  "W. A." or "WAs" if there are more than one. He also is not a big fan of the "GMK"s (Gas Mask Kids) or the question, "Are you my mummy?" On the other hand, he does enjoy going around yelling "Exterminate" (Daleks) or "Delete" (Cybermen) at random times. It is interesting how some random things can really scare us and others we can pass off without a worry.

Of the seven seasons I watched, I liked the 9th doctor the best, I think because of his goofy smile and how happy and childlike he appeared, and yet he had a certain intensity, too. I thought the 10th doctor was the most emotional and I liked his deep brown eyes. The 11th doctor was fun, more goofy and lighthearted, but he carried on the role well. I can definitely see the evolution as the Doctor recovers from the war, as he finds balance between justice and mercy, as he puts some things behind him and decides to push the limits of what he can or cannot do. It is interesting to me how this character can regenerate and become a different person with a different face, a different take on life and a different perspective, and yet still be the same person at the core.

My favorite episodes were mostly those where the Doctor went back in time to a historical point on earth. I enjoyed watching Charles Dickens and the ghosts, and William Shakespeare and the witches. Even the western town of Mercy with its cyber gunslinger was fun. Another of my favorites saw clockwork droids stalking a girl in the 18th century. I enjoy the blend of history and science fiction.

A couple weeks ago, Josh, Peter and I were at the library looking for a movie, and the boys came across a bunch of old Doctor Who episodes, and I let them check one out. The old episodes aren't as intense and fast paced as the newer ones, and the special effects of the 60s and 70s don't compare to today's computer generated special effects. In a way though, they reminded me of the Star Trek episodes I watched occasionally as a child. They were interesting in their own way, but I much preferred the "Next Generation" episodes to the original "Captain Kirk" episodes.

I've realized that there are a lot of similarities between Doctor Who and the Star Trek episodes I enjoyed so much as a youth. They both feature people traveling through space, visiting strange new worlds, encountering different life forms. The Doctor spends less time on his ship, and has fewer traveling companions at any given moment, but there are still aliens to negotiate with and new places to go and things to do.

I don't intend to get involved in any new TV shows for a while. While they are great when I am not feeling well (As I haven't been for the last week), and they are helpful to pass the time when I'm folding laundry (a least favorite chore) or knitting or crocheting (which gets boring with nothing to listen to) I'm ready for a break. I'll still watch Doctor Who when the kids want to watch, and I'm looking forward to when Season 8 comes out next fall.

Comments

  1. I've had friends who have been trying to get me to watch doctor who for years. I finally broke down the week Isaac was born. That week I was alone with Isaac in the hospital, I spent most of the time watching it. I watched 5 seasons that week, and the 6th, over the next two weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop