The Year in Review: Me

 I've written a lot about myself already this year. I wrote about my thyroid cancer recurrence and surgery. (See herehere, here, here, and here)

In October I got to do another radiation treatment. (See the first time here. This post also has an explanation on how the radiation treatment works.) This time, things were a little different. To begin with, they made me go on a low iodine diet for the full 10 days before the radiation. I couldn't eat anything with iodized salt, sea salt, dairy, or egg yolk, and because it is hard to tell in prepared foods what uses iodized salt and what used non-iodized salt, I had to be wary of any food with salt as an ingredient. Thank goodness for the resources available on the LID Life Community because they have done the research to find out which packaged foods are safe to eat, and even what foods at certain restaurants are okay. 

Last time I did the radiation, I didn't start on my thyroid medicine until after I had done it. This time, so I wouldn't have to go off my meds, I got to go to the hospital both of the two days before "glow day" to receive a shot of Thyrogen, which tells the thyroid cells to get to work. On "glow day" I went to the hospital again to take the radioactive pill. Then I went home to revel in solitude for a while. 

I'm not sure if I misunderstood the instructions the first time, or if the explanations I was given were different, but this time I was told I only needed to totally self-isolate for one day. After that I wasn't supposed to spend over an hour within 3 feet of anyone for at least five days. I got a substitute to teach my seminary class for the first day and I went to church that weekend, but sat alone and didn't go to primary because young kids are more susceptible. I think John enjoyed subbing for me at the piano in primary.

A week after I took the pill, I went back to the hospital for a full-body scan. There was some contamination or something on one hand an on my shoulder that didn't go away even after I washed it, so I had to go back the next day for another scan. It was a rather stressful few days for me until I communicated with my doctor and learned that she wasn't concerned about the results. (I had read the radiologist's report, which had some things that worried me.) 

The scar is healing well. It is like a giant j on my neck, but it is fading and I can't feel any significant bumps. Most days I wear a neck band or scarf over it.

___________________________________

With medical bills, the holidays, and anticipated travel plans next year (to Portugal for a wedding in March and to Hawaii for our 25th wedding anniversary in June) I've realized it would be good if I got a paying job. With the time I need for preparing seminary lessons I only want a part time job. I've applied at a few places, I even got a substitute teaching license, but so far the only place that has contacted me for an interview was a grocery store, and then they wouldn't hire me because with all the 70+ hours a week I said I would be available, I won't work on Sundays. How do I convince employers that although I haven't had a regular paying job for 23 years, I still have skills that would be a benefit to them?

I made a bunch of amigurumi animals for Peter's drama silent auction (see mention here) and they were very popular. After the auction I had two people who had been there ask me to make custom animals for them. The idea of starting an Etsy shop seemed like something I could do, and so in November I started researching and preparing, writing down how I make my animals and figuring out what types of yarn I want to use. It has been a challenge, but also fun. I finally launched the shop not quite a month ago, and so far I've had five sales, mostly to people I know. I don't know if the shop will ever gain in popularity, but for now I'm having fun with it. I have set up an Instagram account and begun learning how to use social media to promote the shop. I'm also learning how to take pictures of my creations - not just for the listing on the shop, but also fun ones for social media. Hopefully my friends and family won't get too bored of the pictures I take... and I have some hope that those who buy my animals will add their own fun pictures eventually. Very rarely does a day go by now that I'm not developing a pattern for a new animal I'd like to add, considering which animals are posted that I could improve, or experimenting with taking photos of the animals I have. I've also considered starting a new blog focused around the shop with crocheting ideas and tutorials, as well as the inspiration behind the shop. We'll see how much time I have to dedicate to this project once I get a real job. Anyway, if you haven't already, please check out the shop (www.ladymsmenagerie.etsy.com) and feel free to share any of my Instagram or Facebook posts! (@ladymsmenageriehttps://www.facebook.com/LadyMsMenagerie)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

The Year in Review: Peter in 2022

April 2023 Newsletter