Dealing with Trials

How do you cope when life takes an unexpected turn? What is your first reaction when you hear news that surprises you in an unpleasant way? How do you deal with the day to day stresses and trials in your life? When the waiter at the restaurant of life sets the partially filled water glass in front of you, is it half full or half empty? Okay, that last one is kind of weird. Anyway, you get the way I'm drifting.

When Steven came home from work a little early one Thursday almost four weeks ago and told me he had been laid off, my first reaction was shock - a brain freeze, and not the kind that comes from eating ice cream too fast. It was cushioned somewhat by the warmth I felt - like the hug of an angel, that I have come to associate with the influence of the Spirit. Why did I feel it just then? Was it just to comfort me through a difficult situation? Or was it to assure me that it was part of the Lord's plan for our family?

The shock has passed. I've accepted the fact that we are now among the thousands who are unemployed in a struggling economy. We aren't particularly concerned yet. We have food storage, our debts (other than the mortgage) are paid, and we have money in the bank. 

I've actually enjoyed the last few weeks. Steven finally found time to paint the living room. We had been planning a quick trip to Utah for a couple days of the week between Christmas and New Years, and we were able to extend that trip to an entire week. Now the kids are back in school, and we it was convenient to be able to ask Steven to take the kids to school yesterday over slippery, icy roads, especially when my van battery was totally dead from the door being left open overnight.

The weeks have had a few challenges too.  In the past I've tried to do the housework when Steven is away at work. Now I am trying to teach myself to work when he is home. I'm learning to share the computer once in a while, having been used to have it all to myself during most of the day.

While I was writing this, Steven called from the vet's office. One of our cats, MoMo, has been sick for the last few days, hiding more than usual, not eating much, and throwing up. Steven just called to tell me that he swallowed a string. He will have to have surgery to have it removed, and that will be expensive. How do I respond to this? MoMo is one of God's creatures and we love him. Some how the Lord who comforted me when Steven was laid off will find a way for us to pay for our cat's surgery, hopefully without depleting our savings too much.
Moroni, aka MoMo (last October)
 Again the scripture returns to mind - the one that has been floating in and out of my consciousness for the last few weeks, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (Proverbs 3:5) Somehow the Lord will provide a way for us to get through this. I have to accept that it might not be in the way I'd prefer it (Like Steven finds a wonderful job tomorrow) but somehow we'll get through it and be better off in the end.

Comments

  1. Keep the faith and continue to endure your trial well. I'm impressed with your strength to remain calm! It sounds like the Lord is leading your family, and we don't understand why things happen, until maybe we are looking back on them some time later! We will keep praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always inspired by your faith and knowledge. You handle things so well and that comes from your strong spirit. I know everything will work out for you guys and we are keeping you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop