What I Want for my Children

This morning, I did something that inadvertently upset Peter, and he started sulking, and I got frustrated and wondered why I bothered, and after I left him at school, I started thinking about what the important things are. What do I really want for my children? What should be my priority, and what things should I let go?

Ultimately, I decided, I want my children to be happy. I want them to be happy in this life, as well as in the life to come. I'm not alone in this idea. As the ancient prophet Lehi told his son Jacob, "Men are that they might have joy." (2 Nephi 2:25)

What do my children need in order to be truly happy?

First of all, I believe my children need to understand that their Heavenly Father loves them dearly, and has a plan for them. They need to understand that this life is only one small stage of their eternal existence, but it has everlasting consequences. We are here to learn and grow, and challenges and hard times are part of life. Like a baby chick laboring to hatch out of its shell, our challenges in this life are intended to make us stronger so we will be prepared for the next stage of our eternal progression. (See Elder Ellis' talk from the October 2017 General Conference)

Next, they need to understand the role of Jesus Christ and his atonement. When God sent us to this earth, he knew that we would make mistakes. Perfection is a long journey, and none of us will make it there in this life. Jesus Christ came to earth not only to set an example and teach us how we should live, but because of his great love for us, he also suffered in Gethsemane and took upon himself our pains, our sorrows and our sins. He paid the price so we don't have to if we repent and rely on him. (See Jeffrey Holland's talk from same conference)

Third, they should learn to heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost. When we learn to recognize the Spirit and obey his whispering, we will be guided through this life and delivered from many challenges and hardships that we might otherwise have to endure. His presence comforts and sustains us through those challenges that we do have to endure. The Holy Ghost teaches of truth and brings us peace. (See Elder Stevenson's talk from April 2017)

Next - and I believe this helps with the first three, my children need to develop a personal relationship with their Father in Heaven and his son Jesus Christ. They need to pray and commune with their Father. They need to study the scriptures and discover the treasures of wisdom and love that are written there. They need to submit their will to the Father, striving to keep his commandments, trusting in Him. They to learn the truth Alma taught his son Corianton, that "wickedness never was happiness." (Alma 41:10) (See also Sister Marriott's talk from October 2017)

I want my children to become competent and productive members of society. They need to learn to work and find joy in it. They need to gain the education and skills to become self reliant, responsible for their own well-being, able to provide for themselves and their families, to have sufficient for their needs, to have order in their homes and in their lives. (See Elder Christofferson's talk from October 2014)

I want my children to learn to look outwards and to see the needs and desires of those around them with the desire to help and serve them. I want them to feel the joy that comes from selfless service. I want them to experience the satisfaction of using skills and talents they have developed to benefit and bless others. I want them to feel the joy that comes from helping others learn of the gospel of Jesus Christ. (See Sister Oscarson's talk from October 2017)

I want my children to develop strong and satisfying relationships with other people. I want them to make good friends, to marry in the temple and create family relationships they will want to last into the eternities. I want them to learn to communicate in healthy ways, both to understand and to be understood.

Finally, I want each of my children to be the person he or she wants to be in the end. I want them to be comfortable in their own skin, acknowledging their weaknesses, but also rejoicing in their talents and strengths. When the time comes for them to pass from this world into the next, I hope they will go without regrets, trusting in the Savior, rejoicing in the knowledge that they did their best. (See Sister Bingham's talk from October 2017)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop