Hannah's Discipleship Talk

Hannah got to speak in church this last Sunday. Here is her talk:

I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus

As I’m sure you know, I’m serving a mission soon. I’m going to the Brazil, Sao Paulo South mission and I leave on November 7th (9 days!). And naturally, there’ve been a lot of things I’ve needed to do to prepare. Now, what everyone asks is, “do you speak Portuguese yet?” And in the four months since I got my call, I’ve been working hard on it. So now, a week and a half away, I can now say with confidence, “Eu nao falo Portuguese.” ...I’m very grateful for the MTC. No, but I have been preparing, not just over the last few months but through my whole life.

Since I was a little kid in primary, I’ve tried to become more like Christ. I loved to sing “I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus,” and especially now that I’m older I absolutely love that song because of of the pure, simple way it invites us to become better. It’s got everything laid out in those two short verses we learn as children. Now I know that for some of you it’s been a while since you’ve been in primary, so I’ll remind you. The chorus says “Love one another as Jesus loves you. Try to show kindness in all that you do. Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought, for these are the things Jesus taught.” For me, this song is the definition of being a disciple. If we show the love and kindness modeled by Christ, we can become more like Him.

I Try to Remember the Lessons He Taught

There are a few things we need to do in order to become better disciples of Christ. The first is to learn about Him. You can’t emulate someone whom you know nothing about, right? In Doctrine and Covenants 19, we are invited to “Learn of [Christ] and listen to [his] words.” We are asked to “walk in the meekness of [his] spirit, and [we] shall have peace” (D&C 19:23). We need to learn about Christ. We can do this by going to church, reading the scriptures, praying, all the Sunday school answers. Now if you’re here, you probably already do most of those, but my question is, could they be more meaningful? There’s a huge difference between reading a chapter before bed because you feel like you should, and actively searching the scriptures, scouring them to find revelation, applying truths to your life, and treasuring up the word. This is something I need to be better at, and I would invite you to join me in making a commitment to make scripture study more meaningful. Similarly, if there’s some other thing you struggle with, I would invite you to find ways to make it more meaningful. I know that as you strive to draw closer to Christ, you will be blessed with his Spirit and he will guide your efforts.

As we come to know Christ we will be better prepared to emulate him. We will better understand his attributes, and more importantly, we will come to a better understanding of his motivation in serving us. That’s what it’s all about, right? We can go through the motions of being Christlike, but without the love of God and of all mankind holding it together, it’s meaningless.

I’m Learning to Love as He Did

The first thing I think of when I think about Christ is his love for us. There is no other reason why he would submit himself so fully to our needs and suffer so immensely to save us. There’s a hymn that sums up my feelings about it:

I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me, confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me. I tremble to know that for me he was crucified, that for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died. (I Stand All Amazed, 194)

It is so amazing and I am staggered by the outpouring of love he gave so freely.

During his ministry on earth, Christ showed so much love. Even when he was busy, he gave freely of his time. While hurrying through crowds to heal Jairus’s daughter, he paused to speak with the unclean woman who grabbed his cloak. Instead of the frustration most of us feel when interrupted from an urgent task, he showed nothing but love, and gently assured the woman that she had been made whole. His example of patience and love is something I admire greatly.

In a recent conference talk, Massimo de Feo said, “Love is the true sign of every true disciple of Jesus Christ.” I’m not sure we have the capacity for Christ’s level of love, but we can share freely the love we do have. John 13:35 says “Ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”

I’m Learning to Serve my Friends

One way Christ showed his love for others was by serving them. Even when he was tired, upset, or busy, he would always make time for others. After his cousin and friend, John the Baptist, was beheaded, Christ went away to be alone to mourn. However, he “saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick.” Even in his time of trial, he was able to focus on others and serve them. Later that evening, when it was getting late, the apostles tried to shoo the crowd away to give Jesus space, saying that the people needed food. Even then Jesus didn’t leave the people to their needs. He took the few loaves and fish they already had and blessed them and multiplied them so that no one would have to go. He showed such incredible love for them as he served them, and I am grateful for his example.

Service is not only a way to show love for others, but it’s also a way to show love for God. Mosiah said that “When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, you are only in the service of your God.” God isn’t physically on earth, so those who follow Him become his hands. When we take His name upon us at baptism, we claim the responsibility of acting as He would. When Christ was on the earth, he taught and healed and served. If we are true followers of Him, we should do the same thing. Now granted, no one here is perfect, and we can’t do everything. However, every effort we make to serve others is appreciated by God, and it brings us one step closer to becoming like our Heavenly Father, which is our ultimate goal.

Sometimes service can feel unnecessary. Sometimes our efforts to serve go unnoticed. Sometimes things backfire and it seems best to not even try. In her talk in the most recent conference, Joy D. Jones asked,

Can you think back on a time when you lovingly reached out with sincere effort to help someone in need and felt that your efforts went unnoticed or perhaps were unappreciated or even unwanted? In that moment, did you question the value of your service? If so, may the words of King Benjamin replace your doubt and even your hurt: “Ye are only in the service of your God.” (For Him, Jones)

We are imperfect and even our most sincere desires to help may not work out as we might hope, but that should never stop us from trying. God knows and appreciates everything we do, and serving Him is just as important, if not more, than serving the people around us.

I’m Trying to Share the Gospel

Apart from the atonement, the most important reason Christ came to earth was to restore the gospel. He went forth among the Jews to teach the truths that had been lost or distorted, thus beginning a new dispensation. He was an amazing missionary and through his efforts, many people were able to come to know the truth.

If we want to be true disciples of Christ, we need to do the same thing. This doesn’t necessarily mean serving a formal proselytizing mission, although that is a great way to do it. For me it means not being afraid to be different, and being willing to answer questions when they come up. Knowing, living, and loving the gospel makes us stand out, and we should never be ashamed of that.

In a devotional back in June, President Nelson challenged the youth to be a light. He said,

“You are to be a light to the world. Therefore, the Lord needs you to look like, sound like, act like, and dress like a true disciple of Jesus Christ. Yes, you are living in the world, but you have very different standards from the world to help you avoid the stain of the world.

“With the Holy Ghost as your companion, you can see right through the celebrity culture that has smitten our society. You can be smarter than previous generations have ever been. And if you are sometimes called “weird,” wear that distinction as a badge of honor and be happy that your light is shining brightly in this ever-darkening world!” (Hope of Israel, Nelson)

There are things that we do because of our knowledge of the gospel, and many of those things don’t translate well into typical culture. People notice when we don’t curse, when we don’t wear immodest clothing, when we try to build others up instead of tear them down. The light of Christ burns within us, and it is our responsibility to share it with everyone. Instead of hiding our testimonies under a metaphorical bushel, or instead of covering our convictions with the things of the world, we need to stand out. We need to shine forth, and offer to share that light with as many people as will accept it. When friends have questions, answer them! They want to find the light and join in it, and that’s not possible if your light is hidden. So be different. Be better. And try to help others be different too. So often we try to hide our light. We try to act discreetly, we try to blend in, quietly keeping our standards. Or, if we’re asked, we act ashamed. “Sorry, it’s just something my church does.” When we stop trying to hide our light and instead are proud and confident of what makes us different, that is when we are the most effective missionaries.

Now obviously not everyone is looking to be converted. It’s rare that someone will come up and ask about your beliefs. But that doesn’t mean that there isn’t fertile ground just waiting to be sown with truth. Little things add up, and every tiny thing you do to draw nearer to Christ, to teach and serve and love, will spread the light so that those who are looking will find it. Be an example, be a light.

Meekness

Another important characteristic we can work to emulate is meekness. Elder David A. Bednar said that “Meekness is a defining attribute of the Redeemer and is distinguished by righteous responsiveness, willing submissiveness, and strong self-restraint” (Meek and Lowly, Bednar). Christ was, of course, the perfect example of this. When he was tormented and mocked before he was killed, Christ didn’t stop them. He had the power to change things, but he meekly bore the persecution, going so far as to turn his head after he was slapped to expose the other cheek as well. He was so humble and meek, even knowing that he was the Son of God and the most perfect, most amazing person to ever walk the earth. Even hanging on the cross, knowing that the Jews had tortured and were killing him, he blessed them, asking his Father to forgive them, claiming that they didn’t know what they were doing. He is such an amazing example of humility and meekness, and I know that I need to do more to become like him.

My scripture hero is Ammon, and I believe he demonstrated this same meekness when he offered himself as a servant to King Lamoni. After being captured while trying to serve a mission, he was taken to the king and interrogated. When the king found that he wanted to stay, he offered Ammon one of his daughters to marry, and presumably all the power and treasure due a princess. But Ammon didn’t take him up on it. He was so meek and humble that he offered instead to be a servant. And as a servant he served with all his strength. Even after fighting a group of rebels in order to keep the king’s sheep safe, he didn’t brag at all or vie for more status. He quietly went on to the next task on the to-do list, humbly following orders. He was strong and powerful and a spiritual giant, but he meekly bore the burdens placed upon him.

Therefore, what?

There are so many Christlike characteristics that we can emulate, but there’s still more we need to do. In preparation for this talk, I did a lot of research, going really in depth in a way that would make any college professor proud. So, to quote from the Wikipedia page, “A disciple is not simply an accumulator of information or one who merely changes moral behavior in conformity with the teachings of Jesus Christ, but seeks a fundamental shift toward the ethics of Jesus Christ in every way” (Discipleship (Christianity), Wikipedia). In other words, it’s not enough to study all these attributes, or even to try to emulate them. We need to become Christlike. When serving others is no longer an obligation but a joy, when we search the scriptures to learn rather than to get it done with, when we love God and everyone around us and strive to be the best we can be, that is when we become true disciples of Christ. The Spirit will guide us and help us become better, and as we make and keep covenants at baptism and in the temple, we will be able to progress on our journey towards becoming like Christ.

We’re not perfect and we can never be on this earth, but God has extended his marvelous grace to us, and given all of us opportunities to change and become better. We can one day become like Christ if we are willing to do all we can and endure to the end. I am so grateful for Christ and for the example he sets for me. I am grateful for the atonement and I know that through it we can be forgiven and become better. I know the church is true. I have felt the Holy Ghost t and guide me, and there is no way to fake that revelation. I know Joseph Smith was a prophet and that he saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, that he restored the gospel, and that he found and translated the Book of Mormon through revelation. I know that President Russell M. Nelson is our current prophet and that he holds all priesthood keys. I love this church and I love all of you and I am so grateful for everything you have taught me. I know with all my soul that this church is true, and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Comments

  1. Wonderful talk! I felt the Spirit as I read through it. Hannah is going to be an awesome missionary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop