Cat Walk

I took a walk with a cat today-
with no collar, no leash, no plans.
It just happened that way.

I had hardly left my house before I heard a meow, loud and strong.
"Where are you going? Can I come too?" She seemed to say.
"Well, come along," I told her, and so she followed me.

We came to a driveway. "Is this where you're going?"
She sauntered up the walk, then looked at me. I didn't stop.
"Come along," I said.

We passed a porch where a puppy lurked.
"Be careful!" she meowed.
"He won't hurt you. Come along." I said.

Sometimes behind, sometimes ahead, she came with me.
Like a child she stopped to look, to smell, to explore.
"Come along." I would tell her.

When we came to the stop sign, I crossed the street.
"That's dangerous!" she meowed.
"It's safe now. Come along." I replied, and she followed me.

A few minutes later, she crossed back over.
"It's safer over here." she meowed.
"Come along" she said, so I returned.

We retraced our steps back down the hill.
This time she trotted ahead, and I paused to admire the scene.
"Come along" she meowed, and I followed after her.

A car drove by, and the scared cat froze.
"It's okay" I told her. As the engine's roar faded, she relaxed and hurried on again.
"Come along" she meowed back at me.

We arrived back home and went inside.
"Thanks for the walk" I told her.
"Purrrrr" was her reply.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop