I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Years ago, I learned a song at church. It went:
I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I know who I am.
I know God's plan.
I'll follow him in faith.
I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ.
I'll honor his name.
I'll do what is right;
I'll follow his light.
His truth I will proclaim.
(Words by Janice Kapp Perry C. 1989)
In a recent statement, President Russell M. Nelson emphasized the importance of using the full name of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We are not the LDS church. We are not the Mormon church. This church was given its name by revelation 180 or so years ago, and that is the name that we should be using. 

I was walking several days ago and pondering about the name of the Church and what it means to me.

  • I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ... This is the same church that Jesus Christ established when he lived on the earth. He is the central figure, with a complement of apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, etc. (see 6th Article of Faith). This is the same church that Jesus organized on the American continent after his resurrection. (See 3 Nephi 27:2-8) Jesus Christ has been involved in this Church from years before it was organized when he and his Father visited Joseph Smith in the sacred grove, to today as he guides  our prophet President Nelson. This is his church. We are Christians in that we believe in Jesus Christ and we strive to follow his example and his teachings. We believe in his atoning sacrifice in Gethsemane and Golgotha. He paid for our sins so that we can be forgiven if we repent and strive to obey his commandments. We also believe that he was resurrected on the third day - that he lives! And because he lives, we all will one day also be resurrected. The gospel of Jesus Christ is full of hope and promise and peace.
  • ...of Latter-day...  Why latter-day? It is to separate us from the former days, when Christ walked the earth. It is the same church now as it was then. The gospel taught by Christ is the same gospel we believe today.
  •  Saints This refers to the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These are people who have dedicated their lives to trying to follow the teachings of Christ. They are people who believe in God and are striving to do good. No, we are not perfect yet, but that is our goal, and the name of the church is a reminder of that goal. 
I'll admit that sometimes the full name of the church feels long and cumbersome, especially when trying to write it in a blank that is only an inch long, but it is important. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am striving to follow Jesus Christ and his teachings in these latter days before his second coming. The least I can do is use the name for the Church that he gave it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop