Summer 2018 Update

It was a challenge finding time for a family vacation this summer, with everyone running in different directions.

Steven is still working at MDC Holdings as a financial analyst. July is one of his busier months with quarter end reports to complete. He was, however, able to take the last full week of July off for LDS Encampment, a week long scout camp at Peaceful Valley Scout Camp with all the LDS scout troops in the area. Almost immediately following that week at camp he was released from his calling as Scout Master and called to be the ward clerk. While I think he is disappointed not to stay scoutmaster until our boys get their eagles, and until the LDS church discontinues its association with the BSA at the end of next year, he always accepts the calls given to him, and that is one of the things I love about him. Already he has worked to clean up the ward list, standardizing addresses and the like.

Hannah is keeping busy while awaiting November, when she will enter the MTC in Brazil. In the meantime, she has been earning money working for a nanny agency, and more recently she started also working for BASE, a before and after school daycare program at a local school. She took summer classes online, and she has also been involved in the local institute classes. She teaches the Sunbeam class, and enjoys the time that she spends with children. When not working or studying, she spends time with friends, going on "adventures". She must also spend a lot of time browsing Amazon, because she frequently receives packages containing clothing and shoes that she has ordered in preparation for her mission. Hannah was able to go to the temple to receive her endowment on July 21st, and my parents were amazingly able to be with her for that. (They are currently serving a mission at a temple in Guatemala, but that temple was closed for two weeks, and my mother's sister passed away and they were able to come home to Utah for the funeral, and were able to find the time to come out to Colorado that weekend.) Since then she has also been serving in the Fort Collins temple every Saturday afternoon.

John also got a paid internship this summer. He worked for a company called SolderWorks, investigating ways to help a brewery measure the temperature and other information about the vats and report them in an app. (I think... I may have to edit this later 😉) When not at work, he had other projects he was doing on his computer at home. He attended the LDS Encampment, and also somehow found time to train for and run in a Ragnar (a 12 person, 200 mile overnight relay race) this summer. John has been working on getting his drivers license, logging practice hours whenever he gets a chance. I think he still needs about five night hours before he can take the driving test. He turned 17 this summer, and because he didn't respond to Hannah's texts asking what kind of birthday cake he wanted, he ended up with a rainbow unicorn cake.

I didn't get to see much of Josh this summer. He spent the first week of summer at a day camp for school, and then he had one week at home, during which he had doctors and dentists appointments. The next six weeks he spent volunteering as a CIT (Counselor in Training) at Peaceful Valley Scout Camp. We would drive him out Sunday afternoon, and pick him up Saturday morning, let him shower, wash his clothes and sleep, and then send him again off the next day. After those six weeks, he got to go a seventh week as a scout for LDS Encampment. Josh was able to be home for his 15th birthday, and my sister April and her family were able to come visit that day to make it extra special.

Peter has been my buddy at home this summer. As the only kid without a job, and since Hannah had the car for her jobs most of the days this summer, Peter and I spent a lot of time at home. We walked to the pool, or played games, or built things with LEGOs, or watched movies, but he also spent a lot of time on the computer playing Pokemon and minecraft. I think one of the highlights of his summer was getting to go to LDS Encampment because it got him away from the house for a while. Peter turned 13 this summer, and Hannah made him a mudkip cake. As Peter would tell you, "I liek mudkipz"

In June, I flew to Utah to attend my nephew Tom's wedding. It was strange to go by myself, but I really enjoyed the time I was able to spend with my sister Lindy.
Jordan River Temple where Tom was married
This is the cool building where they had the wedding luncheon.
Inside the castle
The following week, Steven and I went to Estes Park to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We went hiking and shopping, and enjoyed a couple days together.
On one of our hikes, one chipmunk was very eager to taste Steven's beef jerky.
Other than that, I've stuck pretty close to home. I'm still serving as Relief Society president, and that requires me to attend meetings and visit with the various sisters in my ward. Since I found out Hannah was going to Brazil, I started practicing my Portuguese with Duolingo. I've forgotten a lot since I haven't used it, but it is coming back to me fairly easily.

On July 31st, we took the entire family to see Les Miserables at the Buell theater in Denver. That was a treat, and I think it was good for John and Josh, who performed a student version in March, to see how it was presented by professionals.

August 8th-11th, we were finally able to go on a three day family summer vacation. Well, most of us were there for all three days... John had to go to run the Ragnar... I'll post more about that in another blog.

And now school has started again. Summer break is over and we are back in the swing of school. Seminary started this morning and auditions for the fall play are this afternoon. We're back to normal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop

The Year in Review: Peter in 2022