Do You Recognize This Book?

Have you ever read a book, and thoroughly enjoyed it, and wanted to share it with other people, but then realized that other people who don't have your same sense of humor might not appreciate it, think it was stupid, and thus think you are stupid for recommending it, and so you don't share it after all? But then did you ever wonder if anyone else you know has read that book as well and enjoyed it as much as you did?

We are planning on replacing the carpet in our home next week, and in preparation I've been boxing up the contents of our bookshelves in order to make them easier to move. That has left me with a shortage of reading material, and so I went browsing in my boys' rooms (I haven't packed anything there yet) for something to read. I came across a book that I know John likes, but I had never read before, although I have read other books by the same author. This one was geared for younger readers, however, and I had ignored it.

So I decided to read it, and I just finished it this morning. (I was reading it until bedtime last night, and begrudgingly put it down for the night, but I couldn't wait to pick it up again this morning.) It was a lot of fun - not that the story itself was over-the-top amazing, although it was definitely interesting, but the writer's style throughout was very entertaining. The author frequently goes off on little tangents, with an engaging mix of truth and irony that may or may not have anything to do with the actual story being told. It kind of reminded me of Lemony Snicket, although this was not him.

Here is a sample, from the beginning of chapter 18:
The book is almost done. 
The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read. For the ending will often decide whether you love or hate the book.  
Both emotions lead to disappointment. If the ending was good, and the book was worth your time, then you are left annoyed and depressed because there is no more book to read. However, if the ending was bad, then it's too late to stop reading. You're left annoyed and depressed because you wasted so much time on a book with a bad ending. 
Therefore, reading is obviously worthless, and you should go spend your time on other, more valuable pursuits. I hear that algebra is good for you. Kind of like humility, plus factoring. Regardless, you will soon know whether to hate me for not writing more, or whether to hate me for writing too much. Please confine all assassination attempts to the school week, as I would rather not die on a Saturday. 
No need to spoil a good weekend.*
If you recognize this quote, if you've read this book and enjoyed it also, congratulations, we have something in common! If not and you can't imagine why anyone would want to, my apologies. Please close your browser and go on with your normally scheduled life.

Comments

  1. *Sanderson, Brandon. (2007) Alcatraz versus the evil librarians. New York, NY: Scholastic Inc. p 262

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book! the whole series is good. Although I'm still waiting for an adequate ending. I guessed what book you were talking about after two paragraphs. I don't actually remember that quote from the book, but it sounds like it would fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop