My Life Just Got a Load Better!

It's funny how you don't really appreciate something until you lose it, but it is true. Oddly, the opposite is also true - you don't really realize how bad something was until it suddenly becomes wonderful.

I have been having trouble with my dryer for months. It usually took 2 - 2 1/2  hours to dry a load of laundry, and then suddenly, even that wasn't doing it. At the end of the cycle, the clothes were still wet and I had to run it a second, even a third time to get completely dry. Also, the dryer started making loud squeaking noises every time the drum turned. A couple months ago I strung up clothes lines, because clothes got dry just as fast (and a lot more quietly) drip drying as they did in the dryer. Then the weather got cold and hanging clothes outside resulted in things like this:





Steven was an angel and tried to help. We tested to see if the dryer was getting hot, and it did seem to be hot when I tested it after it had been running a few minutes, but later on it didn't seem to be warm at all. He cleaned out the dryer vent for me, even braving the crawl space to get every bit of lint, but that didn't seem to help very much. Eventually we figured it was the thermostat or something overheating and then turning off. The poor machine was ten years old, and we decided that it was time to replace it. (It helps that Steven has been working for a couple months now and we have some money to spend again. Otherwise, I'd still be dealing with it.)

Friday evening we went dryer shopping, and my new dryer was delivered around 11:30 this morning. They told me to let it run for 20 minutes or so to get rid of an odor, and then I tested it out with a load of laundry. The clothes went into the washer a little after noon, and I switched them to the new dryer around 12:40. About 2:00 today, they were done, perfectly dry, even the overalls, jeans and sleepers. Imagine - an entire load of laundry washed and dried in two hours, when the week before it took most of the day! Even in the old dryer's prime, it used to take almost 3 hours to wash and dry a load!

Yeah, you're probably laughing at me for getting so excited about an appliance, but I wash laundry almost every day of the week, and I am incredibly grateful for one more wonderful blessing in my day-to-day life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop