A Busy Day

Saturday was a very busy day for me. We got up around 7am, got dressed, had breakfast, tossed some pork in the crock pot for dinner, and Steven, Hannah, Josh, Peter and I drove the five miles to the church to get there by 8:00. It was our family's turn to help clean the church building. I dropped the rest of the family off, then drove to the home of John's scout leader to pick John up from a scout campout in the backyard, dropped John off at a middle school in the area for a  Mathcounts Competition at 8:30, then returned to the church (about 15 mile round trip) to help with the cleaning. We finished around 9:30 and returned home, to do chores and straighten up our house. I even had time to play a game with Peter before a little after 11:00, when I returned to the school where John was, to watch the final round of the competition and the awards ceremony.

Mathcounts is a series of competitions where middle school students are given math problems to solve in a limited period of time. Some parts are individual, others are done in pairs of in teams of four. The final countdown round involved the ten students who had scored the highest on the previous written parts. John couldn't tell me how many schools participated, how many teams there were, or how many individuals were involved, but from what I could tell, there were at least 100 students involved. John's team received the 3rd place trophy, and John got to participate in the countdown round and ended up in 7th place individually. He did an awesome job!

We returned home from the school between 12:30 and 1:00, and I had time to eat lunch and gather together the library books (two of which were missing) before I headed out again to go visiting teaching at 2:00. When I returned home around 3:00, I picked up John and Joshua and we went to the College Hill Library to turn in last week's books and get a new set of books to read. When we returned home from the library, Hannah was preparing to go see Frozen with a friend, and Peter was distraught because he wanted to go too, so to distract him, I took Peter and Josh (wearing a Peter Pan/elf outfit for some reason) and we walked to the Anythink Library (which is within walking distance of our house, but doesn't have a great selection of books... so we usually go to the other one instead) so Peter could pick out a movie to watch here at home. It was about 5:00 by the time we returned home again, and time to start getting ready for dinner.

We had pulled pork sandwiches for dinner. After the pork had cooked in the crock pot all day, it fell apart and tasted great with the home made buns that Steven had baked from scratch while I was at the library. After dinner we watched one of the movies we had gotten at the library. Then Steven, Josh and Peter went to bed. John read a book. I waited up for Hannah, who arrived home a bit before 10pm. She had a good time and loved Frozen! I look forward to being able to see the movie myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop