Spring Break Aftermath

Today is day three of normal life after Spring Break. Kind of. I'm not sure it's really normal when most of it has been catching up on things that I put off last week because the kids were home. Monday was mostly spent cleaning the house and putting it back in order from the weekend. I also cleaned out the boys room again. I filled an entire kitchen sized trash bag with trash and papers that were scattered all over their floor. They are down to pretty much beds and clothes in their room now, but somehow they still find ways to trash it. Go figure.

Yesterday I made granola and yogurt (we finished off what the kids made last week, and they've been begging me to make more). I figured out our meal plan for April, made a shopping list and went grocery shopping at Sam's Club. I went Visiting Teaching. I washed, dried and sorted two loads of  laundry. I walked to pick up the kids from school. Somehow during all this I injured my knee so now it hurts to bend if I put any weight on it (like if I wanted to kneel down to pull Peter's shoe out from under the desk so we could walk to school, or if I stooped to pick up clutter on the floor.) By the time Steven got home from work I was utterly exhausted. I read for a bit while Steven and the kids played outside, but when I could no longer keep my eyes open I went to bed. It was only 7:00.

Today I've taken care of some Primary business and I've been to the grocery store (for the things I couldn't get at Sam's yesterday.) I still need to clean out the fish tank, the kitty litter, and my bathroom. The kids get out of school in a little over two hours. We'll probably take advantage of the beautiful warm weather by walking to meet them again. I hope exercising my knee by walking is helping it to get better and not making it worse. I wish I could take a nap and still be able to sleep at night... but that doesn't seem to work for me.

At the grocery store this morning, the lady in front of me in the checkout lane had three children with her, and told me it was their Spring Break. She had been traveling the week earlier and her husband hadn't done the grocery shopping while she was gone, so she had to bring them all with her. She looked a bit frazzled when she caught her just barely three year old son "helping" by pulling cartons of eggs out of the cart to put on the conveyor belt. She expressed her frustration when things she didn't want had appeared "magically" in her cart, placed there by the two school aged children with her. I was grateful at that moment that I hadn't needed to go grocery shopping last week, and that today I only had one child with me, even if at that moment he was screaming at the top of his lungs in the attempt to see how loud he could possibly be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop