Random Adventures - Things I'll look back on and laugh at... Someday

Steven left early this morning to head back to camp. This is the second three day weekend of his Woodbadge scout training. The last several days he has been busy making preparations - everything from coming up with quick jokes and meaningful stories to share to writing "Owl Roost" with rope on a large board. He has been thinking about goals, and planning with other patrol members in order to create a scouting related board game. And this morning he left on his adventure. He'll be back Saturday evening with stories to share. Until then, we're on our own.

Today being a single parent wasn't too bad, considering that he is usually gone at scouts on Thursday evenings anyway. I painted the ceiling in our hall today, and I think it looks pretty good. It's definitely better than the bare wallboard that has been exposed for the last month or so since we scraped off the popcorn. Unfortunately, when I took down one of the light fixtures something black fell on my head - one of the caps that cover where two wires join had broken in half and detached. I called a friend of ours in the ward who knows about electricity, and was told the remaining bare wires are dangerous! I was told not to put the light fixture back up, and not to turn on the light. He'll stop by some time tomorrow with a new cap and hopefully he'll help attach it too. I'm glad that I called him to check and didn't just put the light back up and forget about it.

In other news, yesterday Hannah lost her viola. She was bringing it home from school to practice, and had stored it in a storage compartment on the bottom of her bus. Apparently the door wasn't secured because when the bus turned a corner, Hannah, who happened to be sitting near the back of the bus, saw an instrument fly out into the street. She saw someone pull over and pick it up, and there may have been an accident as well, however, she didn't mention anything to the bus driver. On reaching her destination, she realized that the lost instrument was hers, and she arrived home in tears. We hopped in the car and drove back to the intersection where it had been lost, but there was no sign of it. Returning home, I had Hannah make some "Lost Viola" signs to post at the intersection in the hopes that whoever had picked it up would see them and call, while I placed a call of my own to the school district transportation department to let them know what had happened. When the posters were made, we returned to the intersection and posted the signs. Later that evening, I received a phone call from the head of the transportation department. He said he had spoken with risk management and they would cover the cost of the viola. I was tremendously relieved to not have to pay the $400 replacement value!!! He said to get another instrument, and have the teacher call him. I wrote a note to Hannah's music teacher explaining what had happened, and giving him the name and phone number of the guy I had spoken to at the transportation department. After school today I asked Hannah what happened when she gave her teacher the note. She told me that her teacher made a phone call (I assume to verify what I had written in the note). Unfortunately there aren't any more school owned violas left to give her. She was loaned one to practice during class today, but I don't know what she is going to do in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop