A New Faucet


I lifted the lever on the faucet to turn it on a few days ago and, as expected, water poured from the spout and into the sink. I noticed, however, an unexpected trail of water leaking from the hose at the base of the pullout spout and dribbling down over the base of the faucet. I didn't look, but I knew there was probably water dripping down the hose as well, and into the cabinet beneath the sink. Years ago, I had lined the bottom of the cupboard with leftover linoleum from our kitchen floor to protect the wood which was already warped from water damage from other faucets with similar issues. At the moment, I was glad that it was there.

I had liked this faucet. I liked how I could pull out the nozzle to spray the inside of pots, or fill a pitcher of water even when the sink was crowded with dishes waiting to be washed. I liked how I could change the water pressure depending on whether I wanted to spray stuck on scum from dirty plates, or gently fill a tablespoon for a recipe. But the faucet had gotten old, and the system was no longer containing the water.
As I looked at it, I was reminded of the last faucet that we had; it was the same style as this one, but when it decided to go, it went with a bang - the entire nozzle came off and water shot out of the hose, hitting the ceiling and raining down on the bread on top of the refrigerator! While this exit wasn't as dramatic, still the time had come for a change. Accordingly, on Friday evening Steven headed out to Lowe's to look for a new faucet. He returned home with a new one, and on Saturday, the old one was replaced.

The new faucet is a beautiful thing. It gracefully arcs over the sink like the neck of a swan. While the faucet itself doesn't pull out, and I can't adjust the spray, it did come with a separate vegetable sprayer, which should serve the same function, eventually. Why doesn't it yet? Well, because it would require another hole in our stainless steel sink, and we don't have the tools necessary to cut another hole right now. Steven tried, but only managed to leave the metal looking scuffed and dented. For now, the faucet serves its purpose, and best of all - it doesn't leak.

Comments

  1. It's good that you already had your old faucet replaced. It’s never fun to have a leaky faucet. Just imagine the amount of water that would be wasted and the damage that it might do to your home. It would have cost you more money than you have to pay for a simple faucet.

    Levi Eslinger @ Capital Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Levi. If you found a problem that a simple repair couldn’t fix it, it’s best to replace it altogether. Otherwise, it would only bring out further problems in the long run. By the way, the replacement looks better than the old one. I hope there aren’t have problems with it so far. Thanks for sharing!

    Gardon Patton @ Bison Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty faucet! But more than that, it seems its features would come very handy when it comes to multi-tasking. Anyway, how are things doing with it? It’s good to know that it doesn’t give you any leak or any clogging problems so far. Thanks for sharing this with us, Maelyn. Have a great day!


    Augustin Pavel @ AXEON Water Technologies

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop