The Significance of the Sacrament

Yesterday I got to teach Lesson 6 of Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Fielding Smith, entitled, The Significance of the Sacrament in Relief Society.

I loved that our Sunday School lesson on Moses ended talking about the Passover and how it was the precursor to the sacrament that we take today. I felt it was a great introduction to my lesson.

I started by showing a picture of The Last Supper and asking what significance this event has for us today. Then we read about President Smith's thoughts on the subject.

I'm not going to to through everything we talked about here. I essentially asked questions and the sisters taught each other. Frequently, their comments would lead to something in the chapter, and I would have someone read the paragraph or scripture that was applicable.

Some of the questions I asked were:
  • What benefits do we gain from taking the sacrament weekly?
  • What can we do to keep the sacrament from becoming commonplace and losing its significance?
  • What does it mean to take the name of Christ upon us?
  • What does it mean to always remember Jesus Christ? How can we show that we always remember him?

When time started to run short, I passed out a handout I had made listing the parts of the covenant we make when we take the sacrament (from section 3) and we went over those points briefly (most of them were things we had already discussed) and then I bore my testimony of the sacrament and closed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop