A Trip to the Airport

Saturday morning I woke up bright and early. Too early, really. The house was still quiet and still, but that wasn't surprising because the only other person at home was Hannah, and she could sleep until noon. I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep, but after a half hour or so I surrendered to the day. I showered and dressed and went to the kitchen and made muffins. Just about the time that the sweet aroma of muffins was filling the house, Steven and the boys arrived home from the father's and son's campout they had been on.


It had rained during the night, and they had forgotten to bring the fly from their tent, so a lot of their stuff was damp and muddy. Josh and Peter had been buried in sand (why???), so they came home with a fine coating of sand and dirt on their necks, in their ears, on their clothes, inside their sopping wet shoes. I directed them to take their wet clothes and things straight to the laundry room, and then listened to them tell me about their campout while I ate my muffins.

Meanwhile, Steven finished unloading the car, then showered, changed and finished packing, and an hour or so after he arrived home, we took off again, this time for the airport. Steven was on his way to Orlando, Florida for a business trip. On the drive to the airport, we talked about where he was going and what plans he had. As we approached the airport, passing by the blue demon horse who guards the meringue topped complex, an interesting sight met our eyes.

Artist's rendering of completed construction.
The airport is under construction.  They are building a hotel or something on the south end of the airport. The structure has a strong resemblance to a ship, though why they would build a ship in the middle of a completely land-locked state is incomprehensible to me. The thing is huge, kind of like I would imagine Noah's ark to be, with sides that lean outwards and the top flat, except an area in the middle where it dips down. The behemoth was covered in scaffolding and crawling with construction workers. (You can see more pictures of what it looks like now at http://www.flydenver.com/ConstructionCam)

We arrived at the departure drop-off area, and Steven got out of the car and pulled out his luggage. I kissed him goodbye and watched him head off to the check in desk. As soon as I could maneuver the van out of the line of cars dropping off passengers, I joined the line headed for the exit ramp. The exit ramp was right next to the construction area and the ramp itself was narrow and had scaffolding on at least one side, if not both. Carefully I steered down the ramps curves, resisting the temptation to stare at the mountain of a ship to the side of me. It was with relief that I escaped from the airport and made it to the freeway on the way home again.

I'll return to the airport to pick Steven up Wednesday evening. Until then, I have the car to run errands or get out of the house whenever I want, which will be nice. I got to drive Hannah to seminary for the first time this morning. (Usually Steven does that.) We got to chat with Steven last night via Google Chat and it sounds like he is enjoying himself there in Florida. Peter has been praying for him that he won't get sunburned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop