More Thoughts on Faith

Several months ago, I read Lectures on Faith, and my understanding of what faith is deepened. I wrote about it here.

In Institute this morning, as we were reading Ether and Moroni's words about faith in Ether 12, I had another one of those "ah-ha" moments.

Someone in class said that there was a time in her life that she was waking up at 4:30am fully alert, and she was able to use that time to really study the scriptures, and so she had the Spirit with her throughout the day, guiding her and teaching her. Someone else commented that a returned missionary complained that after returning home, he didn't feel the Spirit as powerfully as he had when he was a missionary. It was brought up that maybe we don't need to feel the Spirit so strongly all the time. Sometimes the Lord trusts us to make good decisions without his guidance shouting in our ears. Sometimes the rewards for us are greater when we are walking on our own, in faith.


There have been times in the past when I really wanted to see a miracle. I wanted to have the same kind of faith as the Brother of Jared or Moses, to be able to see God, or even an angel. I wanted to have the kind of experience that would leave no doubt in my mind that God exists. I'm realizing now, that even if I did have that kind of faith, chances are very good that it wouldn't happen - BECAUSE I don't need for it to happen.

Faith requires a knowledge that God exists, a correct understanding of God's attributes, and a knowledge that the course one is pursuing is in accordance with God's will. (Lectures on Faith) In each dispensation, God has revealed himself to (usually) just one person, so that person can be the prophet and testify of God's existence to all the other people on earth. Yes, that person needed faith in order to see God, but the fact of the matter is that God still wouldn't probably have shown himself to them unless there was a greater purpose than just to satisfy that person's desire. God appeared to them because He needed them to be a witness.

I might have just as much faith as Joseph Smith had when he went to the grove of trees to pray. But he was able to see God, and I will probably have to wait until the next life because I don't need to see him now. I don't have to lead a dispensation. I don't have the responsibility to be a witness to all the world of a living God.

At the same time, even though I haven't seen him in person, I do know that God exists. I believe that Joseph Smith saw God. I believe the scriptures that tell of people who have seen God. I am aware of blessings that can only have come from God. In the end, not seeing, and still believing is far greater than believing because of having seen. Not seeing helps us to be humble. It reminds us to keep coming to the Lord for guidance and direction. Not seeing, not knowing for sure, but still taking that wild leap into the dark in faith is what brings miracles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop