When upon Life's Billows...

I went to the doctor this morning for a follow-up to my visit to the ER Monday. They examined my shoulder and took a couple more x-rays. I was told that I'll need to continue to wear the sling day and night for the next two weeks so the ligaments in my shoulder can heal and strengthen and hopefully reduce the likelihood of my shoulder getting pulled from the socket again. After that I'm supposed to go somewhere for physical therapy for another 6-8 weeks. I never dreamed that one little tumble could do so much damage!

What's the good news? Let me count my blessings:

  1. I'm not in a lot of pain any more. Once the bone was put back in place 95% of the pain went away. Now it's just a dull ache when my shoulder moves, like having a bruise.
  2. Surprisingly, when I fell I really didn't hurt anything besides my shoulder - no scrapes, no blood, not even a grass stain or tear in my jeans. 
  3. We have health insurance. I have no idea what the bill for all this will be, but it's comforting to know that we won't have to pay for everything on our own.
  4. My kids are all old enough that they don't need or want to be picked up and carried around any more. (I'm not sure I could pick them up even if I wasn't injured!)
  5. I can type with my left hand... just a lot slower.
  6. I have an excuse to take things easy for a while. I have a signed doctor's note excusing me from work for a few days... for what it's worth.
  7. Steven has been a wonderful help, picking up x-rays from the hospital for me to take to my appointment this morning, and helping with meals and other household chores.
  8. I have almost two weeks to work on healing before I'm supposed to lead music in sacrament meeting or play piano in Relief Society again.
  9. Hannah is old enough to help with some of the after school driving as long as I'm in the car with her. (I can drive left handed... it's just really awkward reaching across for the gear shift.)
  10. Bodies heal. Time passes quickly. Time + Tragedy = Comedy. Someday I'll have a funny story to tell my grandchildren.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop