An Umbrella and an Example

This morning, as the boys and I were walking to school in the rain, Peter and Josh and I huddling under my extra large umbrella and John wearing a rain jacket with the hood up, a small, dark sedan stopped in the road and the young Hispanic lady in the drivers seat rolled down the window.

"I want to give you this." She said, holding out a small black umbrella.

"Really?" I asked in surprise.

"Yes. You take it!" She insisted.

 "Well, thank you! Thank you very much!" I took the umbrella, and thanked her again. She nodded, rolled up her window, turned her car around and drove off.

I handed the umbrella to Josh to hold and we continued on our way to school a little less crowded. As we walked, Peter was exclaiming about how fluffy it was. (It was small, therefore it was cute. Everything cute is also fluffy.... isn't it? Peter likes fluffy.)

I have no idea who the lady was. I didn't ask her name. But I appreciate her kindness. To see a complete stranger, to observe a need, to be willing and prepared to help - I wish these were things that I did more often.

So, to the lady who gave us the umbrella, thank you. Not just for the umbrella, but for the good example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop