More Letters

I find that when I'm writing letters to the kids each week to let them know what's going on, it is harder for me to blog for some reason... maybe because I'm writing it, I don't feel the need to write it again. So here I copy and paste the last month of letters to them for you:


Feb 16, 2020: Travel Plans, Sickness, Jury Duty and a hamster

Dear Hannah and John,

Hello! How are you?

Hannah - we got your travel plans this week!!! You leave Brazil on April 28th and arrive here mid morning on the 29th. We have an appointment with Pres. Moon that evening at 6:30pm for your official release. You get to speak in our ward on Mother's Day. Of course, this doesn't mean you can get trunky or anything. You still have 72 days to go - so make the best of them!

Also, after having only elders in the ward for the last several months, we got sister missionaries this past week. Hopefully we'll still have sister missionaries in the ward when you return so you can go out with them and continue with that missionary spirit.

As far as news this past week, I was sick, so spent most of the week sleeping, coughing, reading, and drinking lots of fluids. Wednesday evening I was feeling a little better and went to parent-teacher conferences, but returned home feeling exhausted. Josh stayed home from school sick on Wednesday, but either he didn't get it as bad as Peter and I did, or he just is more resilient because he was feeling well enough to go back to school the next day.

On Thursday I got to go to jury duty. I was still coughing, but not feeling quite as bad as I had been. I drove out there on slushy, snowy roads, but arrived safely. I got through security and to the jury assembly room. I turned in my information card and got my "JUROR" sticker. Then I went to sit for a while. They showed a movie about the joys of being part of the judicial system. Then they called up the first group of 25 people to fill out a questionnaire. My name was called near the end of that first group. A few minutes after I turned in my questionnaire they had our group line up by the door, and we played follow the leader to the elevators and then up to a court room on the second floor. After sitting on benches in the hall for a little while, they had the first 12 people line up in order and had them enter the courtroom and sit in the juror box. The rest of us sat in the "observer" area of the courtroom. The judge came in and explained some things about the case, and then the lawyers each took a turn to ask the jurors lots of questions. Finally, the lawyers went back to their seats, conferred for a few minutes, and then six of the people in the juror box were chosen to stay and all the rest of us were excused to go home. The whole thing took less than two hours. I think I'd like to have the chance to actually serve on a jury someday.

Last night Linda, Jaydon and Emma came for dinner. They are currently living with Grandma and Grandpa in Orem, but were in the Denver area for the weekend to visit friends. I was glad they came because it seems like ages since I've seen Linda and I really like her. They brought a hamster with them and at first they were concerned about what the cats would do with it, but by the end of their visit, they put the hamster almost nose to nose with Ishmael, and they just kind of sniffed at each other.

I think that's all the real news. I hope you both are doing well, and I wish you the best!

Love, Mom

Feb 23, 2020: Books, HOA, organ, music, pray!

Dear Hannah and John,

Hello! How are you? I hope everything is going well there. 

So I was trying to think of what has happened this week. It was Dad's last week of work, but he'll tell you all about that. I read Alcatraz and the evil librarians this week, and really enjoyed it. I've put the rest of the series on hold at the library so I can read them too. While I'm waiting, I've been rereading the Artemis Fowl books.

On Tuesday evening your dad and I went to an HOA meeting. A few years ago, Arlene (who used to work in the office here) retired and the HOA went to a management company, and it was just horrible. People would call or email with a problem and get no response at all. It felt like they weren't taking care of anything, and while we used to get HOA newsletters on a regular basis, I haven't received anything from them in about a year and a half. Anyways, at the HOA meeting, they announced that they had hired a brand new management company. Representatives from the company were there at the meeting and it sounds like they are going to do a much better job. They have an online portal where we can log in to pay fees, make maintenance requests - and track their progress! Anyway, compared to the company we had before, anything would be an improvement, but I have high hopes.

Today I got to play the organ in sacrament meeting for the first time. I've had about a month and a half to practice, but it was still a little nerve wracking. There weren't any major mishaps, but I learned a few things I need to work on. And there are a few things I'd like to teach the young women who conduct the music. Anyway, Brother Cleverley told me I did a good job, so if he didn't have too much to complain about, I must have done a decent job.

In primary, the kids are learning a new song, called "Liken the Scriptures". I've been practicing it for a few weeks, and it is so catchy, it has been stuck in my head. The kids really like it, and even though there are fewer than a dozen kids in primary, they sang it today with so much energy that they could probably be heard all the way to the YW rooms!

I guess that is all the news for this week. I chose our scripture for this week. It is Alma 37:37. "Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day." Remember that the Lord can help you with your struggles and challenges if you will counsel with him - ask for help, but then pay attention to the answers he gives. Learn to recognize how the Spirit speaks to you, and he will guide you!

Love you both!
Mom

March 1, 2020: House, Plays, and Photos

Dear Hannah and John,

How are you? How is the work going? John - are you getting transferred? Hannah, how are things with your companion? Are there people for whom we should be praying?

Our week has been an eventful one. Dad took the week off before he starts his new job, but it wasn't a leisurely vacation. We packed up pretty much everything on bookshelves, desks, dressers, shelves, etc. We emptied closets and disassembled furniture, and even discovered haunted-house-worthy cobwebs. We taped plastic drop cloths to walls (sometimes repeatedly when the tape didn't stick as long as we wanted it to.) Dad textured the ceilings, and then we painted them, not really worrying about the floors at all. There were a couple days when the kitchen was so full of furniture and stuff that had been removed from other rooms, that we couldn't get in to prepare meals, and so we ate out.







Finally, on Friday, the carpet installers came and spent six hours or so ripping out the old carpet and putting in the new. I love it! It is dark enough to hide the dirt, and it looks great. We're still emptying boxes and putting stuff away, but I took a few photos so you can get an idea of what the new carpet looks like.


Josh hasn't been around to help much with the house project... I had to pack up most of his room myself. He would leave for seminary in the morning and not return home until around 9pm. Performances were Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and we went to see it on Friday. I really enjoyed it. Ethan (Pugsley) did a great job as the voice of the plant. Seymour was played by Josh's friend, Jorian L. Margot S. played Audrey, Jackson D. was her dentist boyfriend. Jason H. was one of the business men trying to get Seymour to sign a contract, and sang and danced. Sarah E. was one of the doo-wop girls and got to do a lot of singing and dancing. Dad took pictures of the set, including the fire escape (on the left of the bottom picture), that Josh built. (BTW, Ms Dill asked about you both.)


Did I mention that I was doing a color photo challenge with some of my sisters? I think so... the color for February was yellow, and it was a challenge to find photo worthy things that are yellow. March will likely be even harder - the color for this month is turquoise!

I think that's all for now. Love you both!
~Mom

March 8, 2020 (Untitled)

Dear Hannah and John,

How are things going? I hope the work is going well. John, how are you getting along with your new companion?

As I'm sure Dad will tell you, he completed his first week at his new job. I love having him work so close to home. We were able to take turns taking the boys to seminary in the mornings. Friday was our temple night, and he was able to get home from work, start some pizza dough, eat dinner and change before we had to leave, and he wasn't already stressed out and tired from a long drive already.

Yesterday morning we attended a ward service project. They passed around sign-up sheets a few weeks ago for donations of things like jerky, socks, deodorant and water bottles, and then on Saturday we divided them all into zip-loc bags to donate to a shelter. They also had some fleece blankets for us to tie the fringe around the edges. The entire activity only took about an hour total, but it was fun.

We also had the sister missionaries over for lunch yesterday. They had a conference with a member of the 70s in the evening so they asked if we could do lunch instead. Of course we're flexible. We made pizza, and Dad even let them decorate the last one before he stuck it in the oven.

John, I finished reading the Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians series this week. I really enjoyed it, but Brandon Sanderson really needs to finish writing that last book. I looked it up online; he is working on it, and it *might* be published by the time you get home.

Also Hannah - did you forget to click 'send' on your email last week? We never got it...

Anyway, I hope all is well with the both of you.
I love you!!!!
Mom

March 15, 2020: Pandemic II, IRL

Dear Hannah and John,

Hannah, I don't know if you will actually be able to read this this week. We received word from your mission that you weren't supposed to visit internet cafes. John, it was fun to hear from you briefly on Friday. I hope the bread recipe worked out for you. Both of you, we hope that you are doing well and following the instructions of your mission presidents: washing hands frequently, not touching your face, keeping things clean, not touching others, and generally protecting yourself.

Things here have been weird with how fast this whole virus thing has exploded. The week started out pretty normal, but as the week went on, email after email came out with news of new closures. The boys had Friday off school for a teacher in-service, but we got an email Friday that they would start spring break a week early, so they will have both this week and next off. Peter was disappointed because he and Josh both got into one-acts, but he doesn't even have the script yet to start memorizing lines, and with the way things are going, we don't know if one acts will even take place. The one-act Peter got into was called "If it don't hurt, it ain't love" directed by Joshua B. Josh is in "Bad auditions by bad actors" directed by Kirk N.

As you probably know, church, seminary, and all church activities have been cancelled until further notice. Today for our family-centered sacrament meeting we each prepared a talk to share, and Brother Keddington came over and helped Josh to bless and pass the sacrament. President Nelson told us six months ago that General Conference this April would be memorable - but I think it will be even more memorable than he knew. No one will be admitted to the conference center; everyone will need to watch it broadcast. The MTC is no longer receiving new missionaries; they will either be delayed or have to learn remotely. Missionaries in heavily hit areas (like Japan and Italy) are being quarantined, sent home, or reassigned.

The Anythink library has a sign on the door saying it is closed until April 6th. Our monthly HOA meeting has been cancelled. We've been discouraged from going anywhere that will have lots of people. So while Dad "gets" to go to work, the rest of us will have to find things to do here at home. It's bizarre that a virus that for most people is just like a bad cold could disrupt so many lives globally. I went to Safeway on Friday to pick up some milk and a few other groceries, and it was the most crowded place I visited all week. I understand that grocery store shelves have been emptied as people stock up before isolating themselves for the next few weeks. Luckily we have plenty of nonperishable food here at home.

I hope that you continue to be productive, somehow. I pray for you and those whom you teach.

Love you both,
Mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

The Year in Review: Peter in 2022

April 2023 Newsletter