Ventings

I'm afraid I might be getting sick. Or something. The last two mornings I've woken up with headaches, but if I take Ibuprofin first thing when I get up it usually doesn't bother me for the rest of the day. But I'm still tired. Maybe I'm just feeling overwhelmed, frustrated, stressed out? Or was that just yeserday?

Yesterday started out well. We got to church on time, and I felt prepared with my sharing time. Sacrament Meeting was good, and the kids were even good enough that I was able to pay attention to the speakers. I guess it was when we got to primary that things started falling apart. The plan was for my counselor to take the teachers out to do a teacher training while the chorister and I did a combined (both Jr and Sr) sharing time and singing time, and then they would come back in time to teach their classes. The first problem we learned of was that we had no teachers in the nursery. Since my other counselor (the one over nursery, who had been assigned to find subs for nursery anyway so the normal teachers could attend the training meeting) was out of town, my secretary left to find someone to sub in there. Then we realized that we were missing teachers for two of our other classes - teachers that we had particularly wanted to attend the training, but they weren't there, and apparently hadn't gotten substitutes. So... I gave my sharing time as planned. It went well. I love teaching. During singing time I was pulled out of primary by a bishopric counselor to tell me of a couple new teachers that had been called, and I asked him if he would mind finding substitute teachers to cover the classes without teachers today. He did so, and I was able to find them a manual and figure out which lesson they were on. About this time the other counselor returned with the other teachers and happened to mention to me that she couldn't find the blank CDs that had been in our closet all year, that she needed to record the songs the children will learn next year, that we were going to give to them as Christmas Gifts. She had some, but not enough for all the children. She and her husband had searched the closet, pulled almost everything out, but hadn't found them. Should she buy more? Should we give them to some of the kids but not all? How would we decide which children to give them to? By this time, singing time was over and we dismissed the children to go to their classes. Since we had combined jr and sr primary, we had a little time to breathe now. We discussed the priesthood preview which had been scheduled for 5:30 that evening. There are two boys in our ward that will turn twelve next year, one active, who recently moved into the ward, and one who stopped coming to church in the last year or so. We have been trying anxiously to persuade the less active boy to attend the priesthood preview. During our discussion, we realized that today was his birthday, and so we planned to bring him cookies at 4 that afternoon, and invite him again to attend. I needed to go to the closet to put some things away, so while there I looked around and eventually found the missing disks (hidden behind a bunch of other things) to the relief of all. The children came back in, we had closing exercises, and church was over.

On the way home from church Steven told me that he had home teaching appointments at 3pm and 5pm, and I told him about the visit I had scheduled for 4pm, and so the afternoon was spent trading off, waiting until he got home so I could go, then him leaving again after I got home. The boy we visited is sweet, kind of shy, but determined not to go to church. (It would help if his mother would go, but she had a baby a few months ago and is determined not to go back to chuch until flu season is over...in the spring.) We did learn that he goes to the same school as the other boy his age in our ward, and we have high hopes of their meeting and becoming friends. We'd hoped that priesthood preview would be a good chance for them to meet, but it wasn't to be.

At about 5:45 last night I got a call from a member of the bishopric to tell me that the active boy and his parents were at the church for the priesthood preview and that no one else was there. He didn't know anything about it; what did I know? I told him that the other counselor in the bishopric had told me it was at 5:30 at the church that night, so that was what I had told the families involved... I didn't know which bishopric member was supposed to be there. I still don't know if someone forgot, or if something came up at the last minute or what. I guess I'm glad that the less active boy didn't show up after all.

This is probably more detail than anyone wanted to read. Sorry about that. I guess I was just trying to get it out of my head for venting's sake more than anything else. It's tough being a primary president.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop