Thoroughly Modern Millie

Northglenn High School Fine Arts Department proudly presents:

Thoroughly Modern Millie

March 13th, 14th, & 15th
at 6:30pm


Last night, Steven and the boys and I attended the performance of Thoroughly Modern Millie, performed at Northglenn High School, in which Hannah participated. 

I have to say right off that I enjoyed the play more than I did the movie - and it wasn't just because my daughter was on the stage. The songs were fun, the acting was fantastic, the plot twists at the end were intriguing. Even the boys were captivated. 
Scenes and Musical Numbers (click to see larger)

I enjoyed watching the Chinese boys, Ching Ho and Bun Foo as they danced and sang - in Chinese. Not understanding Chinese myself, I appreciated the translations projected on a screen, but I appreciated the efforts they expended learning their lines and practicing the pronunciation. It sounded Chinese to me.
Cast List
Another song that I thoroughly enjoyed was the "Speed Test" where Millie's boss, Mr. Graydon, tests her skills at stenography. As the song increases in speed, the tap dancers dance, and I have to smile at the actors agility - with their feet as well as their tongues. The catchy tune has been stuck in our heads ever since.

My appreciation for one of the actors' skills increased when I learned that the actor playing the part of Jimmy, one of the main characters, had only had the role for one week, as the previous player had dropped out. I would never have guessed because he played the part expertly.

Mr. Graydon was a fun character to watch as he drowned his sorrows (at being stood up) in a cafe. He looked so woebegone, and when he began singing a mockery of his previous song, (Ah! Sweet Mystery of Life), I laughed. It was truly hilarious. 

Hannah did a great job as one of the Speed Tappists/Stenographers. She appeared in several scenes as a dancer or extra, and sang one word, "Horace!" in the song, "Forget About the Boy".

This was a fun and very enjoyable play. I'm so glad that Hannah was able to participate and that we were able to go see it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop