It's Good to be Home

I'm a homebody. There's no question about it. I love days when I can sit at home all day, barefoot... reading a book or whatever. I don't enjoy days when my days are structured by where I have to be at specific times. Yesterday was one of those days.

7:30 I took kids to school. Usually I just drop them off and come right back home, but yesterday I parked and went in to the main office to register Peter for kindergarten. It's amazing to me that my baby is old enough to be starting kindergarten in the fall!

John had a stomach ache in the morning and wasn't feeling well, but insisted on going to school... I guess he wasn't sick enough to face having to stay in bed all day. I worried about him though, so when I returned home, I called a friend of mine and asked if she would be available to pick up John from the school if he was sick and I wasn't able to get him. She was home with a sick child (Hannah's age) of her own, but she would be able to get John if necessary.

10:05 The house was straightened, my chores were done. Peter and I climbed in the car and headed to the doctor's office for my annual exam (the first one for me in four years). After one stop at the wrong office (Things had changed since last time I was there and they had moved down the hall.) I filled out paperwork (for new patients... I guess they didn't have my records from my pregnancy with Peter available anymore.) and I finally met the doctor who introduced herself to me as though she'd never met me before, although I know she was the one who delivered Peter... but she hadn't been my regular doctor before; my regular doctor had apparently left the practice. I was given a clean bill of health, and climbed back in the car at 11:45.I still needed to go to the library, and I knew Peter was hungry, so I stopped at Taco Bell to pick up a quick meal for the two of us before heading to the library. (This was a random treat. I almost NEVER get fast food for lunch.) We went to the library where we sat on some benches in front to eat our lunch. Then we went in to turn in the movies and books we had out, and selected new ones. After Peter selected his books, he sat on a bench and had me read them to him there in the library. We returned home, arriving there about 1:00. Peter was sound asleep in his car seat.

2:15 After a short break, I woke Peter and we headed to the school to pick up the kids. I wasn't expecting to get Hannah then because she was supposed to have an after school meeting, but when John got in the car (thankfully, he hadn't gotten worse during the day and was feeling okay by then), he told me that meeting had been canceled... so we waited for Hannah to come... Ten minutes later I thought maybe she hadn't seen us and started walking home? So I started driving home, watching for her. Half way home my cell phone rang... So I turned around and picked her up from the school before returning home.

4:20 We all climbed back into the car to take Hannah to Activity Days. Fortunately, it's close and only took about 15 minutes for the round trip.

5:20 The boys and I climbed back into the car to pick Hannah up from Activity Days. For once she was ready to go when I got there so this was a quick trip and we were back home by 5:40, so I could finish making dinner and eat before I needed to leave again.

6:05 I took my sewing machine and went to the church for a Relief Society meeting where we sewed school bags for the Church Humanitarian Services. For the last half I was sewing Velcro on the bags and every time I sewed on the rough side of the Velcro my thread would break. It was fun to be with friends and other adults, but when we were finished, and I packed up my sewing machine to head home it was 8:45 and I was exhausted.

In contrast, today at 7:30, I took the kids to school and when I came home I parked the car in the garage. I came home, put a load of laundry in the washer, put dinner in the crock pot and tidied up the house. I have a book to read today, some painting to do, nothing urgent. I'm not planning on going anywhere else, except maybe walking up to the school to walk home with the kids. If I don't feel like it, I won't have to, and they will walk home by themselves. Tonight we might watch a DVD or something. No stress. No hurry. It's my kind of day.

Comments

  1. i don't like rushing around and having dr appt days either. Especially those kinds of dr appts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop