Wait five minutes and it might change...

Thursdays are my busy, running around doing errands, shopping, library, etc. days. What made my morning today interesting was the weather. When I dropped the kids off at school shortly after 7:30 this morning there was a low cloud - kind of foggy, but not too bad. (The kids had wanted to walk to school in honor of earth day, but we were running late, and it didn't happen.) A little over an hour later, Peter and I (mostly I) had straightened up the house, collected the library books, made a shopping list and headed out the door to go to the library. By this time, it was definitely foggy. I could see headlights come out of the white gloom as cars approached, and it took a while before floating red or green dots became apparent as I neared intersections. It's a good thing I knew where I was going, because I couldn't see street signs at all until I reached each intersection.

We arrived at the library only a minute before it opened at 9, which I think is a great time to be there because it isn't crowded! We found a close parking spot, we didn't have to wait in line at the book return, and the children's reading room was almost empty. A librarian even approached me and asked if there was something she could help me find! Peter and I found books to read (One big one for Hannah, one small one for John because he still has a book at home that he plans to start reading, and several easy readers for Joshua and Peter) and at 9:30 we were in the car again headed to the local Super Target. It was during this drive that it began to be a bit misty. It was still a little foggy, but not as bad as earlier.

We don't go to Target very often. There is a Walmart and a few grocery stores much closer to home that have most of what we need, BUT, Steven likes Golden Griddle syrup, and Target is the only store we've found in recent years that has it, so we tend to stock up when we find it. But our supply had run out. So, we went to Target for some syrup and a few other things that I prefer to get at a grocery store rather than at Sam's Club where I do most of my shopping. Imagine my dismay when I arrived at the syrup aisle, and there was *gasp* NO GOLDEN GRIDDLE syrup!!! What would I do? How would I satisfy Steven's craving, when I had no idea where to find it? We're having french toast for dinner tonight... what would Steven pour on them??? I got over it. I grabbed a bottle of some other kind of syrup, got the rest of the things on my list ($50 worth) and left. When we stepped out of the store, It was pouring down rain. I had an umbrella in the glove compartment of the van... where it wasn't going to do me much good at the moment. I also realized that Peter had left his coat in the car, so he didn't have a hood, or anything. So we ran for it. Luckily we were parked near shelter, but we were still rather wet by the time I got Peter and the groceries into the van. It was 10:00 when we pulled out of the parking lot, our windshield wipers frantically sweeping rivers of pouring rain off the glass so I could see where I was going.

Our next stop was Sam's Club for the rest of the shopping. When we got there, it was still pouring rain, and I had to wait a little while for Peter to put his coat and shoes and socks back on. (Why does he take them off in the car???) I grabbed my umbrella out of the glove compartment and we went to complete the shopping. Forty five minutes (and $170) later, we left the store to see sunshine and blue skies. I was grateful for the clear weather as I loaded the groceries into the back of the van. (Incidentally, our tent and sleeping bags were still in the van from our overnighter at Heather's house last weekend.) It stayed clear as we came home, I unloaded the groceries and put them away. I hoped that it would stay sunny for a while.

The boys get out of school in half an hour(at 2:30). They wanted to walk. I had planned to walk up to meet them. Hannah has a Battle of the Books practice and will get out in an hour and a half (3:30). She usually walks home on her own. Of course, as I look out the window right now, dark clouds are rolling in and it looks like it will rain any minute. Hannah also has activity days at 4:30. What will the weather be like then? For that matter, what will it be like at 7 when we go to John's Pack Meeting/Pinewood Derby tonight? I don't know. Busy days like today are made so much more interesting with this very unpredictable weather.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop

The Year in Review: Peter in 2022