Free Stuff and Games

Yesterday morning, I received a call from a brother from church. He told me that his two children who were visiting from college or wherever they are now had come home and had cleaned out the piles of junk in his basement and storage room, and that he was going to give a whole bunch of stuff to the local ARC, but if we wanted, we could come over that evening and look through it, and we could have anything we wanted.

I'm always a fan of free stuff, so last night Steven and I drove over to his house, where he was out in his garage dismantling a TV stand. Half of his two car garage was full of boxes and bags. There was a huge television, stuffed animals, baskets, dishes, videos, games, decorations, water bottles, about a five-lifetime supply of toothpicks, three Christmas trees, enough decorations for five Christmas trees, and enough lights for at least three houses. Steven and I picked through it, and eventually brought home two games: Monopoly (Deluxe Edition) and Life, one Christmas tree and a bunch of lights (an entire shopping bag full, plus a couple more sets still in their original unopened boxes), a few small thermoses, and a gadget for baking bread in long round loaves (like baguettes).

This morning, almost before breakfast, the boys broke out the Monopoly game. They started playing around 8am, and the game is still going on three hours later. Peter went bankrupt about an hour ago, and decided to take a nap. Apparently playing a game all morning exhausted him. John and Josh are still going at it, and Hannah just woke up and decided to join the game. Apparently the game is a big hit!



Our kids do seem to like playing games a lot. On Monday morning, I played one card game with the kids, and then Hannah and I played Skip-bo. Yesterday morning they played with the Scrabble game (at least making words and placing them on the board... I don't think they were actually playing a game.) Then later yesterday someone took a picture of Peter playing Chess with his monkey, Coconut. Today it is Monopoly, but I'm sure that they are going to try out the Life game either later today or tomorrow. What will they play on Friday?




Comments

  1. I can't wait until my boys are old enough to play games. There are only so many times I can play candy land without going crazy... plus they usually get bored about half way through the game and start throwing cards everywhere, then refuse to pick them up, so I pick it up and put it away, then half an hour later they pull it out again. We've tried chutes and ladders, and cooties, and several others but it usually ends up the same way: a big mess for me to clean up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop