Silence

In the Doctor Who TV series, there is an alien race called the silence. According to the show, they have lived here on earth since the dawn of time. However, the silence have a strange defense mechanism - as soon as a person looks away from them, he forgets the silent's very existence. The silence use post-hypnotic suggestion to manipulate people to do what they want them to do.

A few minutes ago, the boys climbed into a car and drove away to spend the rest of the afternoon playing at a friend's house. Hannah was in her room, and the house was silent. For a moment, it reminded me of what it was like when school was in session, when all the kids were at school and I had several hours of silence during which I could think, and blog about what I was thinking of. It reminded me of someone seeing one of the Doctor Who Silents for the second time and saying, "Oh yeah! I remember you! How on earth could I have forgotten you?" Except that my re-encounter with peaceful silence is a lot more pleasant than an encounter with the alien race would be.

Don't misunderstand me. I enjoy having my children home for the summer. I have fun playing games with them and taking them to the pool. I enjoy seeing the LEGO creations they make and the artistic masterpieces they come up with. I like watching movies and reading books with them. I like hearing them playing happily together and listening to the amazing things that their imaginations concoct.

But all the same, every once in a while, it is nice to have an encounter with silence, and learn to appreciate it all over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop