Teaching and Learning

Last night was our Stake Auxiliary Training. (Is it just me or is the word 'auxiliary' really hard to pronounce?) As a teacher in Relief Society, I was invited to attend, and I'm really glad that I went. I learned a lot about how to be a better teacher.

Here are some things that were taught. (These are from the notes I took during the meetings. I didn't always catch who said things because I was busy scribbling down what they said. Some of these are quotes by general authorities, etc. I apologize that I don't always give credit where credit is due.)

  • "Who we are is not who we can become."
  • "Lessons learned in the home last the longest."
  • "Only the home can compare to the temple in sacredness."
  • Learn together with our families and with one another. (As parents and teachers, we are not 'done' learning ourselves!)
  • Focus on the covenants that each family member is working towards.
  • What we learn in Relief Society (and other church meetings) will flood over into our homes.
  • We should teach people, not lessons. We can do this by:
    • Getting to know the people we teach, knowing their needs, and situations, and interests.
    • Teaching to the needs of the class. Try to make the lessons applicable to class members in whatever situation they are in.
    • Adapting the lesson to fit those you teach. Sometimes it may be necessary to focus on just a few points of the lesson. You don't have to teach everything in the manual!
    • Seeking the Spirit as you prepare and as you teach. "...treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man." D&C 84:85
  • We should invite discussion and also teach doctrine.
    • Start by asking inspired questions - not yes or no, or fact based questions, but open ended questions without necessarily right or wrong answers.
    • Ask questions that make us think about how we can apply the principles in our lives.
    • Ask, "How will I help my students discover what they need to know?" Instead of "What will I teach today?" - Virginia H Pearce
    • One idea is to write a major discussion question on the board before class begins to give class members a longer chance to ponder it.
    • "I know when I am speaking by the Spirit because I learn from the things I say." This applies to class members, too. As they talk and share their thoughts and experiences, the Spirit will confirm to them the truth as they speak it. Bearing testimony strengthens testimony.
    • Bear testimony of the doctrines taught.
    • Don't be afraid of silence - give people a chance to think and consider.
    • Begin lesson preparations early enough that you can develop a testimony of the subject matter if you don't already have one.
    • Teach a principle, discuss the application, testify to its truth.
  • When I am teaching with the Spirit, things go smoothly, I feel love for the class members, and the class responds.
  • Set an example, put my own house in order, strive to live by the principles I am teaching.
  • Carefully plan your ending to allow time for inspired conclusion, testimony and an invitation to act. Don't rush at the end!
  • Bearing testimony brings the converting power of the Holy Ghost, and allows the Spirit to witness the truth.
    • Bear testimony using personal experiences when possible.
    • Sometimes a simple testimony is the most powerful.
  • A closing hymn can reinforce the message and help it to sink in. It gives the class a moment to reflect on the principles that were taught before they go on their way.
  • Always invite to action, or extend a challenge. "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine..." John 7:17 It is only by doing, obeying the commandments, following the principles, that we will gain a testimony and become converted.
    • Extend an invitation, explain the blessings that come from obedience, testify of the truth.
  • "And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles..." 1 Corinthians 12:28
Here are some other resources that we either watched or that were referred to:
At the close of the meeting, we were given a challenge to "read ahead of time, both the Sunday School and Relief Society lessons for Sunday, every week for the rest of 2014." We were promised, "If we will first set the example of increased diligent gospel learning, our ability to teach inspired lessons will increase. We'll know what inspired questions to ask for doctrinally sound discussion. We'll know to what action to invite the students. We'll have a better feel for those we teach and how the lesson can affect their lives."

I am going to take the challenge. I still have to figure out how to fit this in with the other scripture study (Preach My Gospel, Book of Mormon, D&C for my Institute class...) that I want to do, but I want to be a better teacher, and I'm willing to do whatever will help me got there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop