Tithing, Faith, and the Widow

For my personal scripture study the last several months, I've been going through Preach My Gospel, looking up the scriptures, marking scripture chains, writing down what I've learned, and the connections I made. It has helped me to study the gospel topic by topic, and review the basic truths that the missionaries teach about each subject.

This morning, the topic I was studying was tithing.(pp78-79) I read Doctrine and Covenants sections 119 and 120, about what the Lord requires as tithing, and who decides how the tithing funds are used. I read about how Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek. (Heb 7:1-2, Genesis 14:18-20, also Alma 13:15) I read about the blessings that are promised to those who pay their tithing. (Malachi 3:7-12)

After the tithing scriptures, there were two more scriptures listed under the subheading of faith:
3 Nephi 13:33: (I add v. 31-32 to add a bit of context)
Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?  For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.
and Ether 12:6:
And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.
When I read these verses, my mind immediately jumped to a story in the primary lesson that I taught this last Sunday about Elijah. (See 1 Kings 17) He had caused a drought in the land because of the wickedness of the king and his wife, and when he got hungry, he went to a widow for food. She was gathering sticks to cook the very last of her food when he asked her to make him a little cake first, and then make food for herself and her son. He promised her that if she would do this, she would have food until the drought ended.

So, in my thoughts this morning, Elijah represents the Church. The poor widow is like all of us, trying to scrape up enough food and things to keep us alive and healthy and get our bills paid. And then the Church comes into her life, and she is asked to give a portion of what she has first, before she pays her bills or gets herself food to eat. If she is like most people, her first thought would be, Seriously? You want me to give up the little that I have and give it to you? What about me? What about my son? Do you know how cranky he can be when he is hungry??!

And yet the Lord says, "All these things shall be added unto you. I know what you need to survive. You give me back some of what I've given you; seek my kingdom, serve me first. And then I'll make sure that you have everything that you need. I promise!"

And that is when this incredible woman takes that blind leap of faith. She went and did what the prophet asked of her. She didn't do it grudgingly or stingily. Not only did she feed him that day, but she invited him to come live with her. She hoped that Elijah's promise was true, even though she couldn't know for sure, but she was still willing to be obedient. It wasn't until after she had fed the prophet, paid her tithing, made her sacrifice in faith, that the blessings came. "The barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the Lord, which he spake by Elijah." (1 Kings 17:16)

And not only did she receive the day to day blessings of having her daily needs met, but when the day came that her son became sick and died, she was in a position to receive an even greater miracle. Because she had invited the prophet into her home, he was at hand, prepared and willing to heal him. The Lord poured her out a blessing. He rebuked the devourer for her sake, and he did not destroy the fruit of her womb. (See Malachi 3:11)

If we pay tithing, or do whatever the Lord requires of us - willingly, in faith, then the blessings will come. The Lord knows what we need. He probably knows our needs better than we do ourselves. And if we are faithfully doing all we can to serve him according to his words - whether we can see the immediate blessings or not, then he will provide us with the things we need. I know that this is true!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop