Inside My Head on a Windy, Frosty Morning

The wind is howling outside. As I walked home from dropping the kids off at school, the thought crossed my mind, "What would happen if one of those huge, dead looking branches broke off in this wind and hit me in the head? If I fell to the ground unconscious, who would stop to help? How long would I lie there before someone came to my rescue or called 911 or something? If someone did help me, would they be able to figure out who I am or who to contact? Or who to bill for any medical treatment I might need? I did have my cell phone in my pocket, so I figured that they could go through my messages and contacts and find someone who would know who to contact. If I didn't have my cell phone on me, then what? Would anyone notice that I was missing until the kids get out of school and I don't come to pick up Peter?" Cheerful thoughts, aren't they?

Also, I had this song in my head that I remember from my childhood. Unfortunately, I don't really know all the words. I was singing something like:
Mister wind is a mischief,
Mister wind is a gnome,
He blows my hat, He blows my coat,
Till I wish he'd go home,
Ooo-ooo, ooo-ooo, ooo-ooo-oooh.
(I was mixing a couple verses. The actual words are here. There is a link to hear a sample of the song or buy the CD here.)

Anyway, there are still tiny styrofoam looking pellets all over the grass outside. If you pick them up and squeeze them, they crumble into crystaline snowflakeyness before they melt. They are the hail stones that fell for about fifteen minutes shortly before school let out yesterday. At the dollar store on Saturday, Hannah and I were looking at little bags of fake snow (for dioramas, etc.) and thinking it just looked like little white balls of styrofoam, and not much like snow... But after yesterday, I realized that the hail that covered the ground looked almost exactly like those little balls, and from a little distance, it did look like snow. So I guess the little bags of fake snow aren't so bad. They might even be perfect if you're looking for hail stones for your diorama.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop