Monday Morning at the Hiatts

Monday after Spring Break is a little bit hard when it comes to getting back into normal routines and getting up in the morning, especially when we're used to sleeping in a little later. This morning, I dragged Peter out of bed and sent him to the bathroom to get ready for school. I expected to have to knock on the door a few times to remind him that the clock is ticking as he has a tendency to get distracted. But surprisingly, he got dressed fairly quickly.

When he was dressed he came out and said, "Mom, I have a haiku!"

"What is it?" I asked.

"General Conference
 is right around the corner.
 I can't wait to watch!"

A little while later he told me, "and there's the other haiku, too."

"Which one was that?" I asked.

"The one about the first presidency!"

"Oh?"

"Thomas S. Monson
Henry B Eyring and there's
Dieter F. Uchtdorf."

We had packed lunches and were just about ready to leave when John announced, "I've got a haiku, too!"

"What's yours?" I asked.

"General Conference:
When we learn from the prophets
and eat some candy."

We set off on our way to school. Peter walked by my side, and after a little while, he asked, "Mom, do you know what I need?"

"No, what do you need?"

"I need a lid and a fish."

A little confused, I asked him, "A live fish? or a dead fish?"

"A dead one. Then I would put it in my pouch." He gestured to the hood of his hoodie which he was inexplicably wearing backwards so the hood gaped open below his chin. Then he continued, "and then I'd put the lid in my mouth, and I'd be a pelican!" He mimed how the lid in his mouth would go up and down like the top of a pelican's beak.

Then he launched into a story involving a pelican and a seal who make friends over a fish on a frisbee that lasted most of the rest of the way to school.

I love my children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop