Peter Gets His Bear

Peter adds his Bear mother's pin to my collection.
The old saying is that the third time's the charm. With my third son, I finally feel like I know what I'm doing when it comes to cub scouts. With John, I sent him off to scouts each week and attended pack meetings once a month, but rarely looked through his book, or tried to do anything at home. I pretty much left everything to his den leaders. With Josh, I was a little better about finishing requirements that weren't completed at den meetings, but with both of them, we were scrambling the last week or two to finish up requirements before their birthday and they "graduated" from their den. (It's an LDS pack, so they move up on their birthday, rather than the end of the school year like other packs.)

Peter and me with Cub Master Rob Mussack
With Peter, I looked through his book more frequently, stayed on top of finishing requirements that needed to be done at home, and we even completed a couple requirements entirely at home.

Last night we attended pack meeting, and Peter was awarded his Bear badge - a record (for us) three months before his birthday! Now he gets to earn arrow points, something that I don't think my other boys got many of.

Anyway, I finally feel like I get it. I understand the requirements, how cub scouts is supposed to work, and what needs to be done.

Oh, and by the way, they're changing the whole cub scout advancement program in four months, so Peter's last year will be with the new program... just so I don't get cocky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop