Family Reunion Thoughts

We returned home from a family reunion with my family today. In case anyone who reads this blog is unaware, I am the second oldest of eleven children. Nine of us are married. My parents have twenty-three grandchildren. I had a couple sisters and a brother who were unable to come with their families, but we still had twenty nine people in attendance. We met at my sister's home in Colorado Springs, a few of the families (including us) camping in her spacious back yard, others sleeping in bedrooms, on sofas, or wherever space could be found.

A lot of time during this reunion was spent sitting around chatting, catching up with each other. We are a musical family. A lot of the time was spent singing, whether around the keyboard, playing games, or just breaking out into song at random moments. Our days were scheduled with various activities, including playing ultimate Frisbee at a park across the street, hiking in the Garden of the Gods, and visiting a splash park. In the evenings we had a campfire and listened to stories about our ancestors, enjoyed a talent show, and played games.

We stuck around my sister's home this morning, long after my parents and other siblings (most of whom had much farther to go than us) had left, helping to clean up and enjoying the relative quiet. This evening, as we've been unpacking, cleaning up after our poor abandoned cats, and resting, I've been thinking about the time we spent together. While the activities and group conversations and games were fun and rewarding, my favorite parts of the reunions were quieter times when I could sit with just one or two of my siblings and have a real chat. I had chances to get to know my younger siblings better. I had opportunities to learn more about some of my in-laws that I rarely see. I am grateful that our family has reunions. I'm glad my children can get to know their cousins. I love my family!!!

(Here are some of the few pictures that we took at the reunion.)

Hannah and cousin Mathew build a huge tower of blocks

Peter and cousin Katie hold hands on a hike.

Peter and Josh play in a crevice through a rock.

John, Hannah and Josh play on the rocks.

Uncle Dean takes Hannah on a motorcycle ride.

Uncle Dean takes John on a motorcycle ride.

Comments

  1. It was a lot of fun, I'm so glad we were able to see you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop