Finding My Style

Today I went for a walk to find my style. I promised Steven I wouldn't spend any money, drove to a local shopping center, and spent a long while wandering through stores. I started with a Lowe's. I meandered up and down the aisles, looking at doors, lighting fixtures and water faucets. I examined shelves, rugs and storage bins, assuring the solicitous salespeople that I didn't need help, that I was just browsing. I wasn't sure exactly what I was searching for, but I hoped that I would figure it out when I saw it. In the process I learned a few things about myself. I like oil rubbed bronze finishes better than nickel chrome. I like cranberry colored front doors. I would love to have a lamp post in my front yard.

I left Lowe's and walked to a Jo-Ann store. There I ignored the cloth and concentrated on the craft supplies. It didn't take me long to gravitate toward the beading supplies. For the last little while I have wanted to learn how to make jewelry using beads. I admired the multitude of shapes, colors, and sizes of beads, and then my eyes were drawn to a book that gave the instructions to make beautiful necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. I seriously contemplated breaking my promise to Steven and buying some beads, but realized I'd also have to get a special needle, wire, and who knows what else, so I didn't. I wandered onward, looking at yarn, knitting pattern books, ribbons and lace, and wondered if I could learn to make lace myself.

Leaving Jo-Ann, and feeling a little tired, but not ready to go home again, I went into the Bed Bath and Beyond next door. I soon came across a display of scented candles and had to stop and smell some. I love the cranberry and pumpkin scents, and I thought I would like to pull out my candle warmer again and have those yummy scents flavoring my home again. I realized that I love those autumn smells, as well as the warm reds, pumpkin oranges and rich browns of the season. I wandered though the bath accessories and looked at the sea shell themed towels and mats. I looked at the art on the wall, and decided which ones I liked and which I was indifferent to. Many of them I could imagine in someone's home, if not necessarily my own.

By the time I had made my way around Bed, Bath and Beyond, I was exhausted and ready to go home. Did I find my style? Not completely, but I did figure out some things that I like. And maybe someday I'll have the resources to acquire some of those things and surround myself with things that I love.

Comments

  1. MaeLyn,

    I have a bunch of beads and beading tools that I would be happy to send you if you want them. I was into it a few years ago but haven't used any of these supplies in a long time. The beads have become nothing but dust-gatherers and choking hazards. Do you want them (free)? If so, send me your address.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa, I would love your beading supplies! Could you send me your email address? (You can find my email address on my profile page)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop