Good Company

My mom and dad, who have been living in Nauvoo, IL for the last six months, and my sister Heidi, who just returned home from a mission in the Philippines, stayed the night with us last night. We loved having them here with us! As usual, the boys were watching for their arrival yesterday afternoon, and dashed out as soon as they saw the car pull up. (Two of them anyway. John was involved in a book.) Also as usual when we have company, the energy level was high for the next several hours. Stuffed animals materialized out of nowhere and started flying across the room. There was wrestling and tickling, laughing and screeching. There was music and conversation.

After dinner, we all gathered for Family Home Evening. Everyone joined in the singing as John played We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet on the piano. We listened to Joshua's prayer and my scripture. I think my parents watched in a bit of bemusement as, during Hannah's lesson, my children drew, and then acted out portions of Lehi's dream (See 1 Nephi 8). They good naturedly participated in Peter's choice of activity, by offering words for a mad lib, which ended up being very entertaining. I think they enjoyed the dessert of homemade pumpkin pie (made by Steven) and ice cream. Soon after we finished dessert, we shuffled off to bed, with my parents in Hannah's room and Hannah and Heidi sleeping on the sofas in the living room.

Peter and Heidi (and friends) this morning
This morning, very early, we arose to have family prayer and scripture reading before Hannah left for seminary and Steven left for work. Usually the boys go back to bed after Hannah leaves, but this morning they stayed up to enjoy their grandparents' and aunt's company a little longer. Eventually, we dressed, breakfasted, and the boys prepared for school. My parents and Heidi also prepared to leave, to continue their journey to Utah, where Heidi will give her homecoming talk.  By shortly after 8am, everyone had left and I had the empty house to myself again.

I'm glad that Mom and Dad and Heidi were able to visit. We loved seeing them!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop