What It Means To Be An Introvert

My niece shared a link on Facebook a couple days ago to an article that I thought was enlightening. It is entitled, "How to interact with the introverted". There were several interesting things that the author suggested:
  1. Extroverts gain their energy from their surroundings, absorbing "good vibes" from people around them. In other words, they gain energy from being around people.
  2. Introverts make their own energy, and instead of gaining it when they are around other people, they give it. (or spend it.)
  3. For introverts, energy is a precious, limited resource, and so they are wary of people (like extroverts) who would "steal" their energy by demanding their attention.
  4. The author suggests that when interacting with the introverted, people should respect their personal space, don't demand that energy be spent on you - especially when it isn't necessary, don't take silence as an insult, and remember that introverts get lonely too.

As an introvert, I found this article very enlightening, putting some things in a way that I could relate to and understand. I usually enjoy being alone, but I like to be around other people, too, even if I'm not interacting with them at the moment. I don't mind shopping by myself in a crowded store very much because I don't have to expend any energy interacting with others. But being at a party in a crowded room is more stressful - and I realize now that it is because at a party I feel the need to socialize; I can't just sit in a corner and watch or pick up a book without being seen as antisocial. I have to expend energy to think of things to say, questions to ask, to keep up a conversation. I can do it, but I do find it tiring and draining.

There are some people, who I love dearly, who I find very exhausting to be around. There are other people that I don't mind spending time with at all. I had wondered what made the difference, but this article helps me to understand what is going on. The people that I find difficult to spend a lot of time around are those that demand a lot of attention. Maybe they have a lot of long-winded stories to tell. Maybe they want me to tell them everything going on in my life. Maybe they just want to be going places and doing things with them, but the amount of my attention that they require is mentally and physically exhausting. Sometimes it isn't even the people themselves, but the noise level and the chaos that comes along with large groups of people that is exhausting.

On the other hand, some people are a pleasure to have visit. Last night my parents stopped in for the night on their way back to their mission in Nauvoo. When they arrived, I was driving Hannah to an orchestra rehearsal, so I missed what hubbub might have occurred at their arrival. By the time I got home, my Dad was on his lap top doing something or other, my Mom was playing a game with the boys, and I was free to welcome them, but I didn't feel the need to keep them entertained. Later, my Mom came with me when I went to pick Hannah up from her practice, and I enjoyed chatting with her, but again, there wasn't any pressure on me, and if there were silences, they were comfortable. It was a relaxing visit and I really enjoyed their company - I didn't feel that they were demanding much of my limited energy, and I was happy to share the bit I had with them. (I hope that my boys didn't demand too much of my Mom's energy in playing the game with them. I think she enjoyed it.)


So I understand better what it means to be an introvert. I wonder what it would be like to be an extrovert. What would it be like to gain energy from interacting with others? I'm afraid I don't have many in my family that I can ask about it.

Comments

  1. I found this concept interesting.. so took a few tests to find out what I am (Introvert, or extrovert).. since I wasn't certain. This test seemed to be the best one, that gave the best answer. I am smack dab in the middle.


    http://www.queendom.com/tests/access_page/index.htm?idRegTest=697

    According to your results you appear to be the type of person who enjoys socializing with both large and smaller, more intimate groups of people. You don't mind being around big crowds, but that doesn't mean you'll want to crash every party you're invited to. Having an active social life and extending your network of friends is relatively important to you, but it isn't the most crucial thing. You've managed to strike a great balance between actively involving yourself in your larger social network, and spending some quality time with a few intimate friends. Although you may not always be the conversation-starter or the "life of the party", you are generally a very outgoing individual, whether among friends or people you are less familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the link! I scored a 27 on the 1-100 scale: According to your results you appear to be the type of person who doesn't socialize often. You likely have a limited social network, and possibly aren't really interested in extending it beyond a few close and intimate friendships. Having an active social life apparently isn't the most important thing to you. Chances are that when the opportunity arises to socialize among a large group of people, you'll likely turn it down if possible. This doesn't necessarily mean you don't enjoy socializing or being around people. Rather, you generally prefer spending time with smaller groups of friends. Individuals who score similarly to you typically aren't conversation-starters, especially with people they aren't familiar with. In addition, they aren't known to be exceptionally outgoing, unless among close friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop