Sewing: The Renaissance Dress

My newest hobby is sewing. Last year I got a sewing machine for my birthday. I was thrilled! I started learning how to quilt, but lacking any knowledge about quilting, or my own rotary cutter and rulers, it was rather slow going, having to wait until my friends were available to let me borrow their tools and show me what to do. But it was fun.

For Christmas last year I received a gift certificate to Joann's, so not only was I able to buy my own rotary cutter, mat and rulers, but I could buy fabric and patterns. Since then, I've really enjoyed sewing.

One of my first projects (besides the quilt which is still in progress) has been a renaissance dress. I don't know why, but I've always wanted one. Maybe it is just something that has stayed with me from my childhood--the love of dressing up, the romance of the past. But for whatever reason, I decided to make one. I finally finished it on Friday.

The pattern I used was a simplicity pattern. It was easy enough to follow and I really liked the way it turned out. I had to make my own petticoat to go under it. I didn't want to buy another pattern, so I searched for ideas online and eventually figured out my own variation. It poofs out the skirt just enough. I can't wait for Halloween!

I've also sewn some new shirts for myself in the last couple months. I wanted long sleeve shirts that were longer than normal (I don't like getting the gaps in back when I bend over) and I couldn't find any I liked already made so I found another pattern and made three from it. I like my new shirts, but now the weather it starting to warm up (yesterday it was over 70 degrees) and I'm going to have to start all over again, making short sleeve shirts instead. What fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop