Cheat

John and Peter are playing "Cheat".

I hear "one jack." "one queen", "one king"... "are you sure that was ONLY one king?" "Yes..... and you know something." *laughter.* "But hold on. DID you cheat?" *sounds of cards being searched through* "You cheated!"

This game is played with one deck of face cards, which is dealt out completely to all the players. The players go around in a circle, and the first one is supposed to play aces, the next twos, then threes, etc. As they play, they place the cards face down on the pile, and state the number of cards and the type they are putting down. The first person to get rid of all their cards is the winners. The problem is, that if it is a players turn to play threes, and they have no threes, they must lie and put down some other card instead. Some players may cheat by putting more cards down than they say they are playing. If they are caught cheating in the act, however, they must pick up the whole pile and add it to the cards in their hand. I would imagine it would be easier to catch someone cheating when there are only two players.

My question is, why am I letting my children play a game which is teaching them to lie and cheat? John says it is a lot easier to get through the game if you don't. I've played the game before. I tried not to cheat any more than I had to, and I did pretty well. Is that the lesson of the game?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk about Gratitude

How Clean is Clean Enough?

Crochet Keychains in my Etsy Shop